Weed and Seed is a DOJ strategy established to identify and assist neighborhoods which have been blighted by crime and poor economic conditions. The two-prong strategy includes:
- The WEEDING element consists of local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies committing to weed out the criminal element from the identified neighborhood. The USA agrees to lower its guidelines and aggressively prosecute those criminals.
- DOJ and local government entities assist in providing resources for SEEDING or revitalizing the neighborhood.
The National goals of Weed and Seed are to:
- Weed: Enable communities to reduce violent and drug-related crime.
- Seed: Strengthen community capacity to enhance quality of life.
- Sustain: Promote the long-term health and resilience of the community.
Updated April 22, 2015