You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Idaho

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Meridian Man Sentenced to 10 Years in Federal Prison for Attempted Coercion and Enticement of Minor

BOISE – Vincent Paul Ingolia, 45, of Meridian, was sentenced Tuesday in U.S. District Court to 120 months in federal prison for attempted coercion and enticement of a minor, U.S. Attorney Bart M. Davis announced.  U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill ordered that Ingolia be placed on supervised release for five years following his prison sentence.  Ingolia pleaded guilty on April 10, 2019.

According to court records, on March 15, 2018, Ingolia posted an advertisement on Craigslist seeking a young girl for sexual activity.  An agent with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) responded to the advertisement, posing as a 13-year-old girl.  During e-mail communications, Ingolia offered to pay the minor in exchange for sexual contact, and made numerous statements intended to entice and persuade the 13-year-old into meeting and engaging in sexual contact with him.  Ingolia arrived at a gas station in Boise to meet with the 13-year-old.  Once he arrived, Ingolia told the officer he believed he was speaking to law enforcement and fled the area.

During a subsequent investigation to identify Ingolia, HSI agents discovered Ingolia had posted at least ten other Craigslist advertisements seeking young girls for “porn productions,” or to exchange sex for money.  In August of 2018, HSI agents served a search warrant at Ingolia’s residence in Meridian.  Ingolia was present and admitted to agents that he was the individual speaking to the undercover officer, and that he believed he was speaking to a 13-year-old girl.  He admitted traveling to the gas station to meet the minor for sex, but then realized “it was a sting,” so he left.  He also admitted to previously communicating with other minors on Craigslist advertisements, during which he discussed meeting for sexual contact and offered money for sex, but denied ever meeting or having sexual contact with any minor.

At sentencing, Judge Winmill also ordered Ingolia to forfeit the cellular phone he used in the commission of the offense.  As a result of his conviction, Ingolia will be required to register as a sex offender.

The investigation was part of “Operation Unsportsmanlike Conduct,” a joint state and federal undercover operation conducted in Ada County, Idaho in March of 2018 to identify individuals predisposed to meet minors for sexual contact.  Participating agencies included U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the Idaho Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, the United States Marshal’s Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Ada County Sheriff’s Office, the Garden City Police Department, the Boise Police Department, the Nampa Police Department, the Canyon County Sheriff’s Office, the Idaho State Police, the Idaho Attorney General’s Office Special Investigation Unit, the Idaho Criminal Intelligence Center, the United States Postal Inspection Service, the Ada County Prosecutor’s Office, and the United States Attorney’s Office.

“The U.S. Attorney’s Office is pleased with the results of the joint operation,” said U.S. Attorney Bart M. Davis.  “Project Safe Childhood (PSC) has been and is an important priority of the Department of Justice.  Working with our federal, state, and local law enforcement, we seek to protect children by diligently investigating and prosecuting online sexual offenses involving minors.  This operation helped safeguard children.”

“HSI and our law enforcement partners are dedicated to protecting children from predators who seek to take advantage of their innocence,” said Brad Bench, Special Agent in Charge of HSI Seattle.  “The sexual abuse of a child is an appalling crime and HSI is steadfast in our commitment to find and remove these criminals from our communities.”

“The sentencing of the final defendant brings to a close this very successful operation,” Idaho Attorney General Lawrence Wasden said.  “I’m pleased with the outcome and proud of the cooperation exhibited by so many law enforcement agencies.  Young Idahoans are safer as a result.”

Ingolia is the last of ten defendants charged in federal court as a result of Operation Unsportsmanlike Conduct.  Previously, the following defendants were sentenced in federal court as a result of Operation Unsportsmanlike Conduct:

  • Bruce Froman, 41, of Meridian, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Edward J. Lodge to 120 months in federal prison, followed by 10 years of supervised release, for attempted coercion and enticement on August 14, 2018.
  • Steven Walker, 49, of Boise, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Edward J. Lodge to 60 months in federal prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, for attempted use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor on September 4, 2018.
  • Jason Kitley, 48, of Eagle, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to 60 months in federal prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, for attempted use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor on September 24, 2018.
  • Anthony Magana, 31, of Boise, was sentenced by Chief U.S. District Judge David C. Nye to 60 months in federal prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, for attempted use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor on October 11, 2018.
  • Gary Baker, 49, of Caldwell, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to 60 months in federal prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, for attempted use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor on November 1, 2018.
  • Omar Luna, 28, of Boise, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to 60 months in federal prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, for attempted use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor on November 1, 2018.
  • Jerry Moore, 43, of Weiser, was sentenced by Chief U.S. District Judge David C. Nye to 180 months in federal prison, followed by five years of supervised release, for attempted sexual exploitation of children on November 19, 2018.
  • Robert Williams, 39, of Boise, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to 60 months in federal prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, for attempted use of interstate facilities to transmit information about a minor on December 17, 2018.
  • Chancey Bailey, 33, of Carlin, Nevada, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to five years of probation and six months of home confinement, for attempted transfer of obscene matter to a minor on July 9, 2019.

The cases were brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse.  As part of Project Safe Childhood, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Idaho and the Idaho Attorney General’s Office partner to marshal federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims.

For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.usdoj.gov/psc

For more information about internet safety education, please visit www.usdoj.gov/psc and click on the tab “resources.”

# # #

Topic(s): 
Project Safe Childhood
Component(s): 
Contact: 
CASSIE FULGHUM Public Information Officer (208) 334-1211
Updated July 10, 2019