Skip to main content
Press Release

Annapolis Felon Sentenced to Four Years in Prison for Illegal Possession of a Firearm

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland

Baltimore, Maryland – U.S. District Judge Richard D. Bennett sentenced Cecil Scott Wiggins, age 49, of Annapolis, Maryland, today to four years in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge William P. McMullan of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - Baltimore Field Division; Annapolis Police Chief Michael A. Pristoop; Anne Arundel County Police Chief Tim Altomare; and Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Wes Adams.

According to Wiggins’ plea agreement, on December 19, 2014, Annapolis Police Department (APD) officers were called to the1300 block of Tyler Avenue in Annapolis for reports of shots fired.  When officers arrived, the victim stated that her boyfriend, Cecil Scott Wiggins, fired a shot into her home.  At the time Wiggins fired the shot, the victim and her fourteen-year old son were attempting to prevent Wiggins from getting inside the home. The shot hit the ceiling of the kitchen, without going through the upstairs floor or causing any injuries.        

APD and the Anne Arundel County Police Department eventually located Wiggins at his mother’s home in Annapolis.  APD personnel spoke to Wiggins’ mother, who gave consent to search her residence, and signed a consent form.  In the basement where Wiggins resided, APD recovered a .22 caliber spent shell casing on the floor near the couch, and a silver/black .22 caliber revolver in the nearby laundry room.  The revolver had black tape and multicolored rubber bands around the handle, and was loaded with one round of .22 caliber ammunition that matched the type of shell casing found on the floor.

Wiggins was arrested and transported to APD headquarters.  Wiggins acknowledged he had a gun when he went to the victim’s home.  He claimed that he accidentally pulled the trigger when he stuck his arm through the open door and the door closed on his arm. 

Wiggins had previous felony convictions which prohibited him from possessing firearms or ammunition.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the ATF, Annapolis and Anne Arundel County Police Departments and Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office for their work in the investigation and prosecution.  Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Bonnie S. Greenberg and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Shelly S. Glenn, who prosecuted the case.

Updated September 22, 2015

Project Safe Neighborhoods