Skip to main content
Press Release

Armed Baltimore Robber Sentenced To 20 Years In Prison Robbed Eight 7-Eleven Stores in 18 Days

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland

Baltimore, Maryland – U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake sentenced John Robinson, age 34, of Baltimore, today to 20 years in prison followed by three years of supervised release for robbery and using a gun in furtherance of the robbery.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Stephen E. Vogt of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Baltimore City State’s Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein; Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts; Chief James W. Johnson of the Baltimore County Police Department; and Baltimore County State’s Attorney Scott Shellenberger.

According to his plea agreement, from December 1 to 18, 2013, Robinson and a co-conspirator robbed eight 7-Eleven Stores using a loaded revolver. The stores were located in Baltimore on Boston Street, Holabird Avenue, West 33rd Street, Belair Road, Reisterstown Road, Harford Road, Frederick Road and Pulaski Highway. In each of the robberies, Robinson wore a mask and pointed the gun at the store employee, demanding money. Robinson or his co-conspirator, who was also masked, would take other items as well, such as cigarettes and lottery scratch-off tickets. On some occasions, Robinson would order the store employee to lie on the floor.

Co-defendant Bryant Smith, age 26, also of Baltimore, was charged by indictment with robbery and using a gun in furtherance of the robbery. Smith pleaded not guilty on October 25, 2013 and is scheduled for a re-arraignment on August 22, 2014.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the FBI, Baltimore Police Department; Baltimore City State’s Attorney=s Office, Baltimore County Police Department and Baltimore County State’s Attorney’s Office for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Bonnie S. Greenberg, who prosecuted the case.

Updated January 26, 2015