You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Maryland

Friday, April 12, 2013

Baltimore Armed Career Criminal Exiled To Over 23 Years For Illegally Possessing A Gun Used In A Murder

Defendant Convicted of the Murder in State Court

Baltimore, Maryland - U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz sentenced Antonio Edwards, age 29, of Baltimore, Maryland, today to 278 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release for being a felon in possession of a firearm. Judge Motz found that Edwards was an armed career criminal based on five previous convictions for possession with intent to distribute narcotics.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Steven L. Gerido of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - Baltimore Field Division; Baltimore City State’s Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein; and Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts.

According to Edwards' plea agreement, Edwards was identified by eyewitnesses as the person who murdered Kinlaw Jones on December 26, 2009, in the 1800 block of East Pratt Street, shooting him multiple times.  Police recovered eight .45 caliber shell casings from the scene, two fired bullets from the victim’s clothing and four additional. .45 caliber fired bullets were recovered during the autopsy.  On January 2, 2010, police received an anonymous tip that Edwards, who had been arrested, may have had a weapon at 3039 Kenyon Avenue in Baltimore.  Police learned that Edwards had rented a bedroom from the owner of 3039 Kenyon Avenue, who told police that Edwards had paid rent of $150 for the month of December and that he had stayed there as recently as the week of December 25, 2009. 

A search warrant was executed for Edwards’ bedroom in the Kenyon Avenue home on January 7, 2010, and police recovered paperwork in Edwards’ name, a baseball hat, a black beanie and photos of Edwards.  From the ceiling, police recovered a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, a holster, a box of .45 caliber ammunition, and a clear bag with rubber gloves inside. Ballistics analysis confirmed that the shell casings recovered from the scene of the murder and from the victim were fired by the .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol recovered from the room Edwards was renting.  Forensic analysis also confirmed that Edwards’ DNA was present on the grip of the gun, the holster, rubber gloves, baseball hat and black beanie.

As part of his federal plea agreement, Edwards pleaded guilty to first degree murder and use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence in Baltimore City Circuit Court, and is set to be sentenced in that case.  Judge Motz ordered that Edwards’ federal sentence will be served concurrent to this state sentence.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the ATF, Baltimore Police Department and Baltimore City State’s Attorney's Office, and especially Assistant State’s Attorney Christopher Mason, for their work in the investigation and prosecution.  Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Michael C. Hanlon, who prosecuted the case.

Updated January 26, 2015