Skip to main content
Press Release

Baltimore Armed Robber Sentenced to over 15 Years in Prison for Robbing Two Stores

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland

Pointed a Gun at a Store Owner and Her Nine Year-Old Son

Baltimore, Maryland - U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake sentenced Cedric Lamont Scott, age 39, of Baltimore, today to 183 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, for robbery and using a gun in relation to the robbery. Judge Blake also ordered Scott to pay restitution of $1,175.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Stephen E. Vogt of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Baltimore City State’s Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein; and Commissioner Anthony W. Batts of the Baltimore Police Department.

According to his plea agreement, on January 21, 2012, Scott entered a store in the 6700 block of Reisterstown Road in Baltimore and selected some items which he took to the cash register. The store owner’s nine year-old son asked his mother if he could ring up the sale. As the boy rang up the sale, Scott pointed a handgun at the boy and his mother and demanded all the cash. The boy and his mother handed Scott all the cash from the register. Scott also took an envelope filled with cash proceeds from the business, the coin drawer from beneath the register and the mother’s cell phone, before fleeing.

On February 16, 2012, Scott robbed a business in the 4600 block of W. Northern Parkway in Baltimore, pretending to want to purchase an item, then demanding money from the cashier. The store manager approached the cash register and realizing that a robbery was taking place, ran out the front door to get help. Scott chased the manager and during a struggle between the two, Scott fired his gun at least once. Scott reentered the store and fired a shot into the cash register drawer lock. When the register failed to open, Scott slammed it to the ground which caused the cash drawer to open. Scott took all the bills and some coins, and fled on foot.

Baltimore Police officers arrived, saw Scott running away and ordered him to stop. Scott continued running, but the officers were eventually able to capture and arrest Scott. Officers seized from Scott a loaded .22 caliber revolver, $282 stolen in the second robbery, and the cell phone Scott took from the store owner during the first robbery.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the FBI, Baltimore Police Department and Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office for their work in this investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Debra L. Dwyer, who prosecuted the case.

Updated January 26, 2015