Skip to main content
Press Release

Baltimore Man Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison In Armed Robbery Spree

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland

Co-Conspirators Admitted to Committing up to 22 Armed Robberies of Stores and Businesses

Baltimore, Maryland - U.S. District Judge Marvin J. Garbis sentenced Dion Mitchell Doram, age 23, of Baltimore, Maryland today to 10 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release for commercial robbery and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Stephen E. Vogt of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Commissioner Anthony W. Batts of the Baltimore Police Department; Chief James W. Johnson of the Baltimore County Police Department; and Anne Arundel County Police Chief Kevin Davis.

According to his plea agreement and court documents, Doram, Quindell Gardner, Tavon McPhaul and others robbed stores in the Baltimore area. After deciding which place to rob, the conspirators would steal a car to use during the robbery. They also used a gun during the robberies to steal cash and cigarettes.

Doram admitted that he participated in at least four armed robberies of convenience stores. On June 21 and June 30, 2012, Doram entered stores on West 41st Street, and on Washington Boulevard, respectively, in Baltimore, brandishing a sawed-off shotgun. Money and cigarettes were taken from employees in each robbery.

On July 4, 2012, Doram entered a store on North Dundalk Avenue in Dundalk, Maryland, carrying a sawed-off shotgun. Gardner entered the store with Doram and stole money and cigarettes from an employee. Doram and Gardner left the store and escaped in a stolen vehicle driven by McPhaul. Witnesses saw the getaway car and provided a description to police.

Shortly thereafter, while Doram waited in the get-away car, Gardner entered a convenience store on Eastern Avenue in Baltimore brandishing the same sawed-off shotgun Doram had used earlier that day. After stealing cash from an employee, Gardner and Doram escaped in the car driven by McPhaul. Police responding to the scene spotted the car and a chase ensued. Doram and Gardner jumped out the car during the chase and were arrested by Baltimore Police officers. McPhaul abandoned the car and escaped on foot, carrying the sawed-off shotgun, but was subsequently arrested.

Quindell Ryeshawn Gardner, and Tavon McPhaul, both age 22, and both of Baltimore, previously pleaded guilty to their roles in committing robberies. Gardner admitted to participating in 22 armed robberies and McPhaul admitted to participating in 12 armed robberies, with Gardner going into the store to commit the robbery and McPhaul driving the getaway vehicle. Judge Garbis sentenced McPhaul to 145 months in prison. Gardner is scheduled to be sentenced on June 5, 2014. Gardner and the government have agreed that if the Court accepts his plea agreement, he will be sentenced to between 15 and 25 years in prison.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised the FBI, the Baltimore City and Baltimore County Police Departments and Anne Arundel County Police Department for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney Benjamin M. Block, who prosecuted the case.

Updated January 26, 2015