Elkton Man Sentenced To Over 14 Years In Prison For Solicitation To Commit Kidnapping
Baltimore – U.S. District Judge William D. Quarles sentence Andres Dorantes Flores, age 43, of Elkton, Maryland today to 175 months in prison for soliciting others to kidnap a 10 year old boy.
The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Stephen E. Vogt of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Cecil County Sheriff Barry A. Janney, Sr.; and Cecil County State’s Attorney Ellis Rollins.
According to Flores’ plea agreement, beginning in at least July 2012, Flores solicited others to kidnap a 10 year boy. The families of Flores and the boy had been friends. Flores approached an acquaintance and suggested kidnaping the boy and demanding a $300,000 ransom from the boy’s father. Flores continued to solicit the acquaintance to help with the kidnapping in subsequent meetings. Flores provided pictures of the boy and his family to the acquaintance.
On August 15, 2012 Flores arranged a meeting with the acquaintance and two men that Flores believed were from Philadelphia who had come to kidnap the victim as part of Flores’ plot. Flores told the men that he had thought the plan through and provided them with instructions to carry out the kidnapping. Flores arranged for the men take the boy from his home in Maryland to Philadelphia where Flores believed the men resided. Flores told the men that after they received the $300,000 ransom, they would each get $75,000. Flores was arrested following the meeting.
United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised the FBI, Cecil County Sheriff’s Office and Cecil County State’s Attorney’s Office for their work in the investigation and thanked the New Castle County, Delaware Police Department for their assistance. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul E. Budlow, who prosecuted the case.