Skip to main content
Press Release

Former Federal Law Enforcement Officer Sentenced to Five Years' Probation After Pleading Guilty to Violating Airport Security Requirements

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland

Baltimore, Maryland – U.S. District Judge Stephanie A. Gallagher sentenced former Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”) officer Supreme Jones, age 32, of Atlanta, Georgia and formerly of Maryland, today to five years’ probation after Jones pleaded guilty to two counts of entering an aircraft or airport security area in violation of security requirements.  As a result of his federal conviction, at least during his five year term of probation, Jones will not be able to be employed in law enforcement.

The guilty plea and sentence were announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Erek L. Barron; Special Agent in Charge Thomas J. Sobocinski of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Baltimore Field Office; Special Agent in Charge James C. Harris of Homeland Security Investigations (“HSI”) Baltimore; Stephen T. Maloney, Director of Field Operations for U.S. Customs and Border Protection Baltimore Field Office; and Special Agent in Charge Craig Miles of the U.S. Department of Transportation Office of Inspector General Mid-Atlantic Region (“DOT-OIG”).


According to court documents, from 2018 through 2022, Jones was an armed CBP officer assigned as a uniformed officer at the Baltimore Washington International/Thurgood Marshall Airport (“BWI”).  As a result of his duties, Jones was issued credentials authorizing him to go into any area of BWI, including the areas beyond the Transportation Security Administration (“TSA”) security checkpoints, for the performance of his official duties. 

In June 2021, the FBI began an investigation into complaints that Jones was abusing his authority by using his credential to enter secure areas when not performing official duties, specifically when flying for personal travel.  According to the statement of facts, during a 14-month period Jones made more than 60 flights, either going from or returning to BWI.  Upon review of surveillance imagery corresponding to the entry point hits, the FBI discovered that Jones was often entering the sterile area of BWI via the controlled exit portals when in civilian clothing by displaying his badge to the TSA Officer or TSO on duty at the exit portal. 

Although a number of trips raised suspicions about Jones’ conduct, two itineraries in particular drew close scrutiny.  On February 21, 2022, Jones flew from BWI to Atlanta, GA.  He did not declare himself to be armed on this flight.  Nonetheless, while in civilian clothes, he used his badge to access the security area to proceed to his departure gate within.  When he arrived at the gate, he engaged in a conversation with the airline personnel, appeared to display a previously unseen limp and obtained a special needs boarding pass from the airline, thus enabling him priority boarding of the aircraft.  During this same travel period, Jones flew round-trip from Atlanta to Miami, then Miami to St. Martin.  To justify a flight change and/or late arrival on the return flight, without incurring a flight change fee, Jones falsely represented that a military unit to which he was assigned had been involved in an accident; falsely identified his military superior; and provided a fictitious phone number.

On April 5, 2022, FBI agents conducted surveillance of Jones in BWI.  They saw Jones, while still on duty and in his uniform, jump a long line of passengers in line at an airline ticket counter to check-in for a flight he was taking later that day in his personal capacity.  About 30 to 45 minutes before the departure time of his flight, FBI Special Agents saw Jones entering the terminal through the exit point, rather than through the TSA security checkpoint.  When the agents confronted Jones, he denied having a flight that day and stated that he was “…working…trailing somebody,” or words to the effect.  A short while later, Jones was seen in the departure gate area for his Atlanta-bound flight.

Jones was arrested on June 26, 2022, as he was about to board a flight from BWI to Boston, Massachusetts, with a scheduled return the following day. 


United States Attorney Erek L. Barron praised the FBI, HSI, CBP and DOT-OIG for their work in the investigation.  Mr. Barron thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney P. Michael Cunningham, who prosecuted the case.

            For more information on the Maryland U.S. Attorney’s Office, its priorities, and resources available to help the community, please visit and

# # #

Updated October 30, 2023