Skip to main content
Press Release

Man Who Set Fire To CVS During Baltimore Unrest Sentenced To Four Years In Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland
Pleaded Guilty to Federal Law that Prohibits Participation in Violent Civil Disturbance, Ordinary Citizens Concerned About Their Neighborhood Helped to Catch Him

Baltimore, Maryland – U.S. District Judge Ellen L. Hollander sentenced Raymon Carter, age 24, of Baltimore, Maryland, today to four years in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, for the federal crime of rioting on April 27, 2015, including the arson of the CVS Pharmacy located at 2509 Pennsylvania Avenue in Baltimore.  Judge Hollander also entered an order requiring Carter to pay restitution of $500,000.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge William P. McMullan of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - Baltimore Field Division; Commissioner Kevin Davis of the Baltimore Police Department; and Maryland State Fire Marshal Brian Geraci.

“Ordinary citizens concerned about their neighborhood helped to catch Raymon Carter after he participated in the riot on April 27, 2015,” said U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein. 

According to his plea agreement, on April 27, 2015, Carter used a telephone to discuss his plans to go to the scene of the riots that erupted across Baltimore following the funeral of Freddie Gray.  Carter walked to the area of North and Pennsylvania Avenues, in the vicinity of the CVS Pharmacy located at 2509 Pennsylvania Avenue, where he was captured on video watching the rioting activity around him, including rioters setting small fires.

Looters broke through the main doors of the CVS and began removing merchandise and pharmaceuticals.  Surveillance video shows Carter entering the CVS at 5:28 p.m. Carter used an open flame to illuminate the pharmaceuticals on the shelves. At 5:30 p.m. the video shows Carter unsuccessfully attempting first to move, and then to open, the pharmaceutical safe.

Carter is then seen on surveillance video going to and from the southeast corner of the sales floor – which the investigation showed was the area of origin of the fire - three separate times between 6:15 p.m. and 6:19 p.m.  Carter admitted that his intent was to start a fire and that he used paper products from that area of the store to set the fire.  At 6:19:34 p.m., the third time Carter is seen going to that corner of the store, he moves out of camera view, behind the shelves. Carter’s efforts to light a fire were successful and at 6:19:57 p.m. a flash of light can be seen on the video.  After the flash of light, Carter reappears on the surveillance video from behind the shelves and is seen running away from the area toward the CVS exit.  Flames in the southeast corner of the store become visible on the surveillance video at 6:22:19 p.m.  Fourteen seconds later Carter is seen walking towards the exit while looking back at the fire, and the looters are seen running toward the exit.  No other individual is seen on the surveillance video in the area of the fire from the time of the flash of light until Carter exits the store. 

The Baltimore Fire Department was called to the CVS at 6:28 p.m.  When firefighters arrived at the store, heavy smoke was seen venting from the main entry doors and the roof.  The Baltimore Police Department established riot lines in an attempt to control the crowds while the firefighters worked to extinguish the fire. 

Carter was subsequently identified by citizens after the ATF released two still photographs from the surveillance videos to the media and announced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the suspect’s identification, arrest and conviction.  On June 29, 2015, the ATF released a wanted poster for Carter and received a hotline tip on July 1, 2015 concerning Carter’s location.  ATF agents located, and after a foot chase, arrested Carter.  At the time of his arrest, Carter had little in his pockets except two black lighters. The total loss for the building alone as a result of the fire is estimated at $1.1 million.

The federal crime of rioting, governed by Section 2101 and 2102 of Title 18 of the United States Code, applies when a defendant travels across a state line or uses a facility of interstate commerce, including a telephone, to participate in a civil disturbance involving acts of violence.

The investigation into this and other arsons that occurred on April 27, 2015, is continuing. Anyone with information is urged to call the ATF hotline, 1-888-ATF-FIRE (1-888-283-3473). ATF continues to offer a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of any individual responsible for these incidents.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised the ATF, Baltimore Police Department, and Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Sandra Wilkinson, who prosecuted the case.

Updated February 4, 2016