Skip to main content
Press Release

Silver Spring Man Sentenced for Involuntary Manslaughter in Fatal Crash on Baltimore-Washington Parkway

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Maryland
Testimony at Trial Showed He was Driving at about 100 mph

Greenbelt, Maryland – U.S. District Judge Roger W. Titus sentenced Bernardo Lloyd, age 48, of Silver Spring, Maryland late yesterday to 63 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, for involuntary manslaughter connected to a fatal crash on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein and Chief of Police Robert D. MacLean of the U.S. Park Police.

According to testimony at his four day trial, on January 31, 2012, about 2 p.m., Bernardo Lloyd was driving a black Lexus on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway in Cheverly, Maryland, at a high rate of speed, keeping pace with a black Nissan.  Both vehicles were passing other southbound vehicles, changing lanes abruptly to get around the other vehicles.  Other vehicles had to take evasive action as Lloyd passed them.  Lloyd and the driver of the Nissan appeared to be racing each other.   Lloyd was traveling at about 100 miles per hour.  The posted speed limit in that area is 45 mph.

The victim was driving a Ford F150 pickup truck in the center lane of the highway, when Lloyd struck the pickup truck from the rear.  As a result of the crash, the truck rolled over several times and came to a stop on its roof in the center lane.  The victim died at the scene from head and neck trauma as a result of the crash.     Lloyd’s Lexus bounced to a stop off the highway on the right side.  Lloyd and his passenger were transported to the hospital, where both were treated for minor injuries and released.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein praised the U.S. Park Police for its work in the investigation.  Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney Hollis Raphael Weisman and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicholas J. Patterson, who prosecuted the case.

Updated May 7, 2015