Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Common Financial Litigation Questions & Answers

1.         Who do I talk to about my debt?

Call the United States Attorney’s Financial Litigation Staff at: (570) 348-2800 (extension #296)

2.         Where do I send my payments?

Civil DebtsMake check payable to “Department of Justice” and send to:

United States Attorney’s Office
235 N. Washington Avenue—Suite #311
Scranton, PA  18503

Criminal DebtsMake check payable to “Clerk, United States District Court” and contact the Clerk’s office for further mailing instructions at 570-207-5600.

3.       Is interest accruing on my debt?

Yes.  All civil debts accrue interest, compounded annually.  The rate is based upon the Treasury Bill rate on the day the civil judgment is entered by the court.

All criminal debts in the amount of $2,500.00 or more also accrue interest, commencing 15 days after the date of sentencing unless the interest requirement was waived by the Court.  The rate of interest is determined by the Treasury Bill rate on the day of sentencing.  Interest accruing on criminal debts is not compounded, but penalties of up to 25% of the debt may be added if the criminal debt is not paid within 90 days of its due date.

4.      Can I pay my debt through installment payments?

The Financial Litigation Staff may consider entering into an installment payment agreement depending upon your financial situation.  A Financial Affidavit must be completed and signed by you for review and consideration.  Contact the Financial Litigation Unit at (570) 348-2800 (extension #296) for a Financial Affidavit if you would like to discuss this option.

5.       Can I pay my debt using a credit card?

The Financial Litigation Staff will accept credit card payments for payment of civil debts only.  The following credit cards are acceptable:

  • Visa
  • Master Card
  • Diners Club International
  • Discover
  • American Express
  • Debit Bank Cards with any of the above logos

Criminal payments cannot be made by credit card to the Financial Litigation Unit. Please contact the Clerk of Courts at 570-207-5600 and they will inform you of the approved credit cards for paying criminal debts.

6.       Is my debt “satisfied (paid in full)” once I am off supervised release?

NO!  If there is a balance remaining on your account once you complete your supervised release term, you must continue to make payments to either the Financial Litigation Unit or the Clerk of Courts until your balance is paid in full.

7.       If I’m making regular monthly payments and I receive a financial statement in the mail, do I have to fill it out?

YES!  Financial statements are sent out periodically to debtors to keep their information current and updated.

8.      I was just notified that there is a lien filed in the county on my property. Why?

Liens are filed in all cases with a balance over $600 and on ALL restitution ordered cases no matter what the amount.

Updated April 10, 2015

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No