St. Paul Man Sentenced To Prison, $12 Million In Restitution For Minneapolis Police Third Precinct Arson
MINNEAPOLIS – A St. Paul man was sentenced today to 36 months in prison for his role in the arsons at the Minneapolis Police Department’s Third Precinct building.
According to court documents, on the night of May 28, 2020, Davon De-Andre Turner, 25, went to the Third Precinct where a crowd of hundreds had gathered. At one point, the crowd began shouting, “Burn it down, burn it down.” Soon after, a fence that was designed to keep trespassers out of the Third Precinct building was torn down. Turner and an individual unknown to him at the time (later identified as co-defendant Bryce Michael Williams) worked together to light an incendiary device which they intended to be used to start or further accelerate a fire. The incendiary device was taken into the Third Precinct headquarters by Turner and was used to start a fire.
“Mr. Turner’s actions on the night of May 28, 2020 contributed to the near total destruction of the Minneapolis Police Department’s Third Precinct building,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Anders Folk. “Those actions were dangerous to community, to law enforcement, and to the many peaceful protestors exercising their first amendment rights. Today’s sentence underscores the seriousness of those actions.”
“ATF is committed to investigating the civil unrest arsons of 2020 that occurred throughout the Twin Cities,” said Special Agent in Charge Terry Henderson, of the ATF St. Paul Field Division. “Arson, being inherently violent, is a serious crime that puts our community members and first responders at risk, and it cannot be tolerated.”
“Today’s sentencing sends a clear message—when you are intent on conducting a violent act that breaks federal law, the FBI and our law enforcement partners will move with speed to hold you accountable,” said Michael Paul, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Minneapolis field office. “That behavior puts our entire community in danger, and we simply will not let it go unaddressed.”
On January 22, 2021, Turner pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit arson. As part of his sentencing, Turner was ordered to serve two years of supervised release and pay $12 million in restitution.
Co-conspirator Dylan Shakespeare Robinson, 23, was sentenced on April 28, 2021, to 48 months in prison. Co-conspirator Branden Michael Wolfe, 23, was sentenced on May 4, 2021, to 41 months in prison. Both Robinson and Wolfe, who had each previously pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit arson, were also ordered to serve two years of supervised release and pay $12 million in restitution for their roles in the conspiracy. Co-conspirator Bryce Michael Williams is currently scheduled to be sentenced on June 7, 2021 before District Court Judge Patrick J. Schiltz. Williams plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit arson on November 11, 2020.
This case was the result of an investigation conducted jointly by the ATF, the FBI, the Minneapolis Police Department, and the Minnesota State Fire Marshal Division.
This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Harry M. Jacobs and David P. Steinkamp.