Skip to main content
Press Release

Gerald Christopher Calf Boss Ribs Pleads Guilty In U.S. Federal Court

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Montana

The United States Attorney's Office announced that during a federal court session in Great Falls, on August 27, 2013, before U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Strong, GERALD CHRISTOPHER CALF BOSS RIBS, a 30-year-old resident of Browning and an enrolled member of the Blackfeet Tribe, pled guilty to assault resulting in serious bodily injury. Sentencing has been set for December 12, 2013. He is currently detained.

In an Offer of Proof filed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan G. Weldon, the government stated it would have proved at trial the following:

On August 23, 2011, at approximately 1:30 a.m., the victim and a witness were sitting on a ledge near the Town Pump in Browning. CALF BOSS RIBS approached the victim and hit him in the face.

CALF BOSS RIBS repeatedly hit the victim in the face, arms, and body. The victim stated that while he was defending himself, he had his hands raised and CALF BOSS RIBS bit one of his fingers and broke two others. The victim stated that he was knocked unconscious for a short period of time. After waking up, he started crawling until he could walk. Once able to walk, he walked to the hospital for treatment.

The witness explained to law enforcement that he was with the victim during the assault. The witness stated that CALF BOSS RIBS came out of nowhere and hit the victim. The witness left the scene because he did not want to be attacked by CALF BOSS RIBS.

When interviewed, CALF BOSS RIBS stated that he had met up with the victim earlier and that CALF BOSS RIBS had walked into an alley where he encountered "X.X." and several of "X.X.'s" friends. CALF BOSS RIBS stated that "X.X." "jumped" him. As CALF BOSS RIBS was being attacked, the victim stood by and watched, without helping. CALF BOSS RIBS advised that he was angry when the victim did not assist him as he was being attacked. CALF BOSS RIBS eventually left the beating and began to panhandle for more beer money. CALF BOSS RIBS then admitted that he met up with the victim later and "clocked" him in the head.

When at the hospital, the victim described his pain as a ten out of ten, with ten being the worst. After receiving a CT Scan, the victim was found to have fractures in his lateral orbital wall and his cheek bone. The plastic surgeon who treated the victim performed surgery on the victim four days after the assault. The surgeon described the injuries as "one of the most severe facial fractures" she had seen. All of the bones in the upper left side of the face were broken.

The assault occurred within the exterior boundaries of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.

CALF BOSS RIBS faces possible penalties of 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and 3 years supervised release.

The investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Updated January 14, 2015