Skip to main content
Press Release

Sneads Man Convicted for Threatening to Use Biological Agents and Explosives Against Federal Institution

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Florida

TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA – A Sneads resident was found guilty yesterday afternoon on three counts of conveying false and misleading information involving the unlawful use and threatened use of a weapon of mass destruction involving a biological agent and toxin, and a destructive device.  Jamie Lee Wambles, 32, was also convicted of a fourth count of mailing threatening communications to a federal agent, involving the potential bombing of the Federal Courthouse in Tallahassee.

Evidence presented at trial revealed that on December 17, 2012, Wambles wrote his first threatening letter from a Jackson County jail facility to the Clerk’s Office at the Federal Courthouse in Tallahassee claiming it contained anthrax.  This letter was received at the courthouse by court security officers.  On December 18, 2012, Wambles wrote a second threatening letter to the Clerk’s Office at the same address with a white powder claiming it was anthrax.  It turned out to be finely crushed Tylenol pills.  He wrote a third threatening letter on December 20, 2012, to the same Federal Courthouse, this time claiming he would bomb the building unless his demands were met. Wambles was aggrieved over the shooting death of his pit bull during his state arrest and wanted the officers responsible to be investigated. Finally, on January 7, 2013, Wambles mailed a fourth letter to an FBI agent claiming he had the materials to bomb the Tallahassee Federal Courthouse if his concerns were not mollified.

            Wambles faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000.00 fine on each of the first three counts, and up to ten years in prison and a $250,000 fine on the fourth count.  The sentencing of Wambles is scheduled for August 29, 2013.  Wambles is currently serving seven years in state prison on unrelated state firearm charges.

            United States Attorney Pamela C. Marsh praised the efforts of the Federal Bureau of investigation and the United States Marshals Service who investigated this threat case.  

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney James Ustynoski. 
Updated January 26, 2015