You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of New Hampshire

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Concord Man Sentenced To 63 Months For Unlawfully Possessing Firearms And Ammunition

          CONCORD - Nathaniel Carr, 25, of Concord, was sentenced to 63 months in federal prison for unlawfully possessing firearms and ammunition, United States Attorney Scott W. Murray announced today.

          According to court documents and statements made in court, on August 1, 2018, a police officer saw a Chevrolet Trailblazer with expired temporary license plates, driven by Carr, exit a convenience store’s parking lot on Loudon Road.  A police officer later located the vehicle, with Carr sitting in the driver’s seat, in another parking lot on Loudon Road.   At that location, the police officer parked behind the Trailblazer.  When Carr opened the driver’s door, the police officer saw a .22 caliber revolver in the pocket of the driver’s door and a box of .22 caliber ammunition in front of the front passenger seat.  As a previously-convicted felon, Carr is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.

          While later executing a warrant to search Carr’s residence on August 24, 2018, the Concord Police Department found 20 rounds of .380 caliber ammunition, 31 rounds of .38 caliber ammunition, and .380 caliber pistol in the kitchen; and a .12 gauge shotgun shell in Carr’s bedroom.  Officers also found methamphetamine and fentanyl in the kitchen.   

          Carr previously pleaded guilty on December 6, 2018.

          “In order to keep our communities safe, it is vital to keep guns out of the hands of criminals,” said U.S. Attorney Murray.  “We will continue to work closely with our law enforcement partners throughout New Hampshire to identify, prosecute, and incarcerate those who violate federal firearms laws.”

          “As a previously convicted felon, Mr. Carr should have known better than to break the law again.  The FBI will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to keep illegally obtained weapons out of the hands of others like him,” said Joseph R. Bonavolonta, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Boston Division.

          This matter was investigated by the Concord Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.  Assistant United States Attorney Anna Krasinski prosecuted the case.

          The case is part of ATF’s Project Safe Neighborhoods initiative, which is a federally-funded program intended to reduce gun violence through law enforcement training, public education, and aggressive law enforcement efforts to investigate and prosecute gun-related crimes.

###

 

Topic(s): 
Project Safe Neighborhoods
Component(s): 
Press Release Number: 
19-034
Updated March 20, 2019