You are here


The United States Attorney’s Office serves as the attorney for the United States. In criminal matters, Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs) prosecute individuals in court for violations of federal criminal law. The civil matters, AUSAs defend the United States in lawsuits filed against federal agencies and file lawsuits on behalf of the federal government.

If you are seeking to alert the government about a potential violation of law, it is usually best to contact the appropriate investigative agency, rather than this office. To assist you in finding the appropriate help, below is a list of commonly received inquiries with a link to the agency best equipped to assist you.

If you feel you are in danger:

call “911”

If you witness an event that may lead to immediate threat to human health or safety:

Call “911”

For consumer-type issues (bait and switch, landlord/tenant, advertising, do not call registry, lottery scams, identity theft, etc.):


call: 603-271-3658




Complaints regarding denial of access in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act may be made through this Office at:

Potential civil rights complaints (e.g., housing, voting and disability discrimination):

Visit: https:/

call: 202-307-0663


Suspected terrorism or criminal activity (public corruption, organized crime, while collar crime, violent crime)


Bedford, NH Office - (603) 472-2224

Portsmouth, NH Office (603) 431-4585

Boston, MA Office (617) 742-5533


For questions relating to immigration and naturalization:


If you have been contacted by someone claiming to be the “IRS” and demanding money or any other IRS-related scams:


Call: 1-800-366-4484


To report the unlawful use, manufacture or possession of firearms or explosives, acts of arson or bombing, or the illegal trafficking of alcohol or tobacco products:


If you believe, you are a victim of mail fraud, mail theft or identity theft:


To report suspected counterfeiting, electronic crimes or financial crimes, contact the Secret Service:

Manchester, NH Regional Office: 603-626-7026

Boston, MA Field Office: 617-565-5640


If you suspect that Medicare is being charged for health care that you did not receive or you want to report other health care fraud:

1-800-HHS-tips (1-800-447-8477)

TTY: 1-800-377-4950


If you would like to report a case involving suspected Medicaid provider fraud:

Medicaid Fraud Control Unit

New Hampshire Attorney General's Office



If you suspect fraud by a recipient of Medicaid benefits:

Special Investigations Unit

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services

1-800-852-3345, ext. 9258 or 603-271-9258


If you have reason to believe that an elderly, incapacitated adult has been subject to physical abuse, neglect or exploitation or is living in hazardous conditions:


In an emergency situation, contact "911"


1-800-949-0470 or 603-271-7014


If you believe a health care provider or business associate violated health care privacy laws:


To report a possible violation of cybersecurity, including phishing, malware or other attempts to access personally identifiable information:


To report fraud involving the Social Security program, including benefits fraud:


It is important to remember that this Office does not represent individuals and cannot give you legal advice. If you need legal assistance, you should contact a private attorney. The New Hampshire Bar Association has a website from which you can access their Lawyer Referral Service or Reduced Fee Legal Service.


Other Government Legal Offices in New Hampshire




U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire:     

603-225-1423 or 1-855-333-2052


Federal Public Defender Office - New Hampshire:

22 Bridge Street
Concord, NH 03301




New Hampshire Attorney General's Office: 


N.H. State Courts:


N.H. County Attorneys:

Belknap County (603) 527-5440

Carroll County (603) 539-7769

Cheshire County (603) 352-0056

Coos County (603) 788-5559

Grafton County (603) 787-6968

Hillsborough County (603) 627-5605

Merrimack County (603) 228-0529

Rockingham County (603) 642-4249

Strafford County (603) 749-2808

Sullivan County (603) 863-7950


Finally, you contact this office directly through the various options on our Contact Us Page, by which an individual can make an online inquiry or report.

Otherwise, the Office is open to the public from 8:00 to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and can be reached via telephone at 603-225-1552.

Updated January 10, 2023

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No