You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Nevada

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, August 16, 2019

Former Hands-On Child Sex Offender Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison For Possession Of Over 500 Images Of Child Exploitation

LAS VEGAS, Nev. – A Las Vegas resident with an extensive criminal history of sex offenses against children was sentenced today to 25 years in federal prison followed by lifetime supervision for possession of 550 images and 27 videos of child exploitation.

“Through the Project Safe Childhood initiative, together with our partners, we are committed to vindicating the rights of vulnerable child victims,” said United States Attorney Nicholas A. Trutanich for the District of Nevada. “Today’s sentence sends a strong message that law enforcement will pursue justice against child predators.”

“It is a high priority of the FBI to protect the most vulnerable in our society: our children,” said Special Agent in Charge Aaron C. Rouse for the FBI Las Vegas Division. “Every time child pornography is viewed on the internet it re-victimizes a child.”

After a three-day jury trial in November 2018, David Alan Cohen, 59, was found guilty of possession and receipt or distribution of child pornography. He was previously arrested for a series of child sex offenses in New York and New Jersey. United States District Judge Andrew P. Gordon presided over the trial and sentencing hearing.

According to court documents, the investigation began in August 2016, after law enforcement received a CyberTip from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) that child pornography was uploaded to a web-based chat room. The IP address associated with the child pornography upload resolved to Cohen’s residence. During the execution of a search warrant, Cohen was interviewed by law enforcement. He discussed his sexual proclivities, prior sex crimes against children, and admitted that he received child pornography files. Cohen’s computer, cell phone, and numerous CDs and DVDs were seized. A forensic examination of the seized items revealed over 550 images and 27 video files of illegal child sexual abuse material, including sadomasochism and bestiality.

The case was investigated by the FBI and Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Elham Roohani and Allison Reese prosecuted the case.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood and for information about internet safety education, please visit www.justice.gov/psc.

###

Topic(s): 
Project Safe Childhood
Component(s): 
Updated August 16, 2019