You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Rhode Island

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Cocaine Trafficker Sentenced To 8 Years In Federal Prison

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Charlie Rosario, 29, formerly of North Providence, R.I., was sentenced on Wednesday to 96 months in federal prison for conspiracy and trafficking more than 500 grams of cocaine in November 2010, announced United States Attorney Peter F. Neronha; John J. Arvanitis, Special Agent in Charge of the DEA’s New England Field Division; and United States Marshal Jamie A. Hainsworth.

U.S. District Court Judge John J. McConnell, Jr. also ordered Rosario to serve five years of supervised release upon completion of his prison term. Rosario pleaded guilty on September 7, 2012, to a two-count indictment charging him with conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute more than 500 grams of cocaine and possession with the intent to distribute more than 500 grams of cocaine.

According to information presented to the court at the time of Rosario’s guilty plea, on November 3 and 4, 2011, a person cooperating with law enforcement during an investigation into Rosario’s drug trafficking activities arranged by telephone for the delivery of all of the cocaine Rosario had in his possession in exchange for $24,500. Rosario estimated that he had approximately 850 grams of cocaine in his possession. Rosario arranged for another person to make the delivery to a Cranston residence.

According to information presented to the court, on November 4, 2010, DEA Drug Task Force agents, with the assistance of Cranston Police, arrested Julio Ernesto Soto, 31, of Salem, Mass., as he delivered the cocaine to the Cranston residence. At the time of Soto’s arrest, law enforcement agents seized 832.6 grams of cocaine.

Soto pleaded guilty on February 3, 2011, to a one-count federal indictment charging him with possession with the intent to distribute more than 500 grams of cocaine. He was sentenced on May 27, 2011, by U.S. District Court Judge William E. Smith to 60 months in federal prison, to be followed by four years of supervised release.

Rosario, who moved from the area at the time of Soto’s arrest, was located in Taunton, Mass., and arrested by the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force in June 2011. Rosario has been detained in federal custody since his arrest.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Milind M. Shah


To assist the media and the public, a glossary of federal judicial terms and procedures is available at

Contact: 401-709-5357

Updated June 22, 2015