Skip to main content
Press Release

Indianapolis Man Sentenced to 30 Years for Role in Jennings County Robbery and Murder Case

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Indiana
Gun Store Owner Murdered in Robbery

INDIANAPOLIS - United States Attorney Josh J. Minkler, announced today an Indianapolis man was sentenced for his role in the murder and robbery of Scott D. Maxie, the owner of a federally licensed gun store near North Vernon, Indiana. Darion Dashon Harris 24, was sentenced to 30 years in federal prison by U. S. District Judge Sarah Evans Barker at the federal courthouse in Indianapolis.

"This type of violence is something no family or community should have to face," said Minkler. "Judge Barker sent a loud and clear message that gun violence will not be tolerated in the Southern District of Indiana and those committing violent crimes will be held accountable."

On September 20, 2014, Harris, along with Darryl Worthen and Dejuan Worthen traveled from Indianapolis to North Vernon to see what inventory was inside the Muscatatuck Outdoors Gun Shop and made plans to rob the owner, Scott Maxie. They drove back to Indianapolis only to return the following day to commit the robbery.

After returning to the gun store on September 21, 2014, one of the defendants disconnected a security camera inside the gun shop. During the robbery, Darryl Worthen shot and killed Maxey with a semiautomatic handgun. While Maxie lay dying, all the defendants stole 45 firearms from the gun shop and returned to Indianapolis. Once home with the guns, the defendants sold and distributed many of the firearms and kept several for themselves.

At the sentencing hearing, Assistant United States Attorney Barry D. Glickman told the Court "this was a senseless, cold and brutal robbery and murder of a kind, decent and gentle soul."

This case was the result of an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Indiana State Police, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Jennings County Sheriff’s Department and the Jennings County Prosecutor’s Office.

"Violent crime will not be tolerated in this community," said Jennings County Prosecuting Attorney Brian Belding. "The individuals responsible should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. The decision to have these individuals charged federally was made after thoughtful consultation with the family members. My goal was that the individuals responsible for this heinous act serve the maximum sentence under the law. This was accomplished under the federal sentencing guidelines. My heart goes out to Mr. Maxie’s family, friends, and loved ones."

According to Assistant U.S. Attorneys Barry D. Glickman and William L. McCoskey, who prosecuted this case for the government, Harris must serve three years of supervised release after his sentence.

Harris’ co-defendant Darryl Worthen was sentenced by Judge Barker to 60 years’ imprisonment in November of 2015. The remaining defendant, DeJuan Worthen, has filed a petition to enter a plea of guilty and will enter his plea before and be sentenced by Judge Barker at a date to be announced.

Updated July 18, 2019