Skip to main content
Press Release

Charlotte Man Sentenced To 15 Years In Prison For Firearms Offense

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of North Carolina
United States Attorney Anne M. Tompkins Western District Of North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A Charlotte man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for a firearms related offense announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. On Monday, June 3, 2013, Chief U.S. District Judge Frank D. Whitney sentenced Harvey Lee Mungro, Jr., 46, of Charlotte to serve 180 months in prison, followed by two years of supervised release. Mungro’s Mungro’s at least three prior felony convictions prohibit him from carrying a weapon and he was therefore sentenced by the Court as an armed career criminal.

U.S. Attorney Tompkins is joined in making today’s announcement by Wayne L. Dixie, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Charlotte Field Division, and Chief Rodney D. Monroe of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD).

In November 2011, a criminal bill of indictment charged Mungro with one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. According to filed court documents and statements made in court, on August 9, 2011 Mungro possessed a Hi-Point, 9mm semiautomatic pistol and 18 rounds of ammunition in the car he was driving. Court records indicate that law enforcement officers recovered the firearm and ammunition when they conducted a traffic stop of Mungro’s vehicle. Mungro pleaded guilty to the charge in August 2012.

In announcing the sentence, Judge Whitney noted that it was the defendant’s criminal history that resulted in the elevated sentence and observed that the sentence would have a general deterrent effect.

Mungro has been in custody since August 2011. He will be transferred to the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons upon the designation of a federal facility. All federal sentences are served without the possibility of parole.

The investigation was handled by the ATF and CMPD. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Robert J. Gleason of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte.

Updated March 19, 2015