Skip to main content
Press Release

Kings Mountain Man Sentenced To Nine Years For Armed Robbery Of Fast Food Chain Restaurant In Charlotte

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – U.S. District Judge Max O. Cogburn, Jr. sentenced today James William Lewis, Jr., 32, of Kings Mountain, N.C. to 108 months in prison for the armed robbery of a Charlotte-area fast food restaurant, announced Jill Westmoreland Rose, Acting U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina.  Judge Cogburn also ordered Lewis to serve five years of supervised release and to pay $841 as restitution.

Acting U.S. Attorney Jill Westmoreland Rose is joined in making today’s announcement by John A. Strong, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Charlotte Division, and Chief Kerr Putney, of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

According to filed court documents and today’s sentencing hearing, on December 12, 2013, Lewis robbed a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant, located at 7725 Pineville Matthews Road, in Charlotte.Court documents show that Lewis entered the restaurant and demanded that the manager give him money and threatened to shoot.According to court records, Lewis, who is a former employee of the Jack in the Box restaurant, took the manager back into the office and made him open the safe.Court records indicate that while the manager was opening the safe, Lewis removed a hand gun from under his jacket and proceeded to display and point the hand gun.Lewis then took the cash from the manager and fled the scene, court records show.

In May 2014, Lewis pleaded guilty to one count of Hobbes Act Robbery and one count of use and carry of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence, and the possession and brandishing of the firearm

Lewis, who is currently in federal custody, will be transferred to the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons upon designation of a federal facility.All federal sentences are served without the possibility of parole.

The investigation was handled by the FBI and CMPD.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Gleason, of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte, prosecuted the case. 

Updated July 14, 2015