Skip to main content
Press Release

Raleigh Man Is Sentenced To More Than 12 Years For Armed Robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Today, U.S. District Judge Kenneth D. Bell sentenced Marvin Maurice Williams, 54, of Raleigh, North Carolina, to 151 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release for an armed robbery offense, announced Dena J. King, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina.

Michael C. Scherck, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Charlotte Division, and Chief Bence Hoyle of the Huntersville Police Department join U.S. Attorney King in making today’s announcement.

According to filed documents and statements made in court, on September 7, 2021, at approximately 8:00 a.m., Williams entered the Valero gas station located at 502 Gilead Road in Huntersville, N.C. Upon entering, Williams approached the cashier and asked to buy cigarettes. When the cashier turned around Williams brandished a firearm. Court records show that, while brandishing the firearm, Williams went behind the counter, grabbed the cashier by her shirt collar and forced her to the back office. Williams then ordered the cashier to hand over the store’s cash. When the cashier replied that the money was located at the front of the store in a deposit bag, Williams forced the cashier back to the front of the gas station. The defendant then grabbed the deposit bag and fled the scene in his vehicle. According to court documents, the cashier and another individual who observed the robbery in progress called 911 to report the incident. Officers located Williams’s vehicle and he was arrested shortly thereafter. Over the course of the arrest, law enforcement also located the firearm Williams had brandished during the robbery on the vehicle’s front passenger seat.

On March 1, 2022, Williams pleaded guilty to Hobbs Act robbery. He is currently in federal custody and will be transferred to the custody of the federal Bureau of Prison upon designation of a federal facility.

The FBI and the Huntersville Police Department investigated the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Alfredo De La Rosa of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte prosecuted the case.

Updated November 2, 2022

Violent Crime