Skip to main content
Press Release

Two Armed Carjackers Are Sentenced To Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – De’Asion Malik Coleman, 21, and Marquise Tyrelle Sharpe-Tall, 21, both of Charlotte, were sentenced to prison today on carjacking and firearms offenses, announced the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of North Carolina.  U.S. District Judge Robert J. Conrad, Jr. sentenced Coleman to 130 months in prison and three years of supervised release.  Sharpe-Tall was sentenced to 141 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release.

Vincent C. Pallozzi, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Charlotte Field Division, and Chief Kerr Putney of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD) join the U.S. Attorney’s Office in making today’s announcement.

According to court documents and today’s sentencing hearing, on November 5, 2017, around 10:00 p.m., Coleman and Sharpe-Tall carjacked a 2010 Nissan Versa, while the vehicle was parked outside a store at 6140 The Plaza, in Charlotte.  A male victim, identified as “J.B.” was sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicle.  Court records show that Coleman opened the vehicle’s driver side door and pointed a firearm at the victim. Sharpe-Tall opened the passenger door, grabbed the victim by the neck, pulled him out of the vehicle, and punched him several times.  The two men then drove off in the stolen vehicle. 

Court records show that the victim called 911 and reported the carjacking. CMPD officers located the stolen vehicle and began to follow it.  Coleman and Sharpe-Tall attempted to evade the police.  After crashing the vehicle, the two men proceeded to flee on foot, but were taken into custody shortly thereafter.

In September 2018, both defendants pleaded guilty to carjacking and brandishing a firearm during, in relation to, and in furtherance of a crime of violence.  They are currently in custody and will be transferred to custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons upon designation of a federal facility.  All federal sentences are served without the possibility of parole.

The investigation was handled by ATF and CMPD.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Erik Lindahl of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte prosecuted the case.

Updated August 6, 2019

Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime