Skip to main content
Press Release

Grand Rapids Man Sentenced To Five Years, $1.6 Million In Restitution For Arson

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Michigan

          GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN —U.S. Attorney Andrew Birge announced that today Kevin Daniel Baker, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, was sentenced to 60 months’ imprisonment, followed by two years’ supervised release, by U.S. District Judge Janet T. Neff. 

          Mr. Baker admitted to breaking into Austin Jordan Engines, an automotive repair business located in Wyoming, Michigan, to find items that he could steal and sell to support his drug addiction.  To conceal the evidence of his burglary, Mr. Baker set the business on fire and then drove away in a stolen car packed with stolen goods.  The next day, Mr. Baker drove the stolen car to a local business and attempted to cash checks that he had stolen from Austin Jordan Engines.  A suspicious employee called law enforcement and Mr. Baker was quickly placed under arrest. 

          Judge Neff commented that Mr. Baker “was extremely lucky no one was injured or killed” because of his arson.  The blaze severely damaged Austin Jordan Engines, resulting in over $1.6 million dollars of loss and damages, which Judge Neff ordered Mr. Baker to pay back as a part of his sentence. 

          “Setting a fire to conceal evidence of another crime is extremely dangerous” commented U.S. Attorney Andrew Birge. “Arson is an inherently violent act that puts many of our community members at risk, including the firefighters who respond to the scene.  With today’s sentence, Mr. Baker is held accountable for his actions.”

          “Our partnerships with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and our State and local counterparts, along with our considerable fire investigative resources, ensures those responsible for violent crimes like arson are apprehended and prosecuted,” said Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) Acting Special Agent in Charge Keith Krolczyk.

          This case was investigated by the ATF and Wyoming Fire Department and was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Erin K. Lane. 


Updated September 29, 2021

Violent Crime