July 6, 2012
- introduce the VISTA program to legal services organizations that are not familiar with it;
- demonstrate how the VISTA program can work effectively in the context of legal services; and
- provide additional resources for organizations that are interested in sponsoring a VISTA project at their site. Thanks to contributions by 10 current or recent VISTA legal services program sponsors, the Appendix contains more than two dozen sample project descriptions to illustrate the range of ways VISTA members can benefit a legal aid program.
- At the Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago, VISTA members recruited, coordinated, trained and supported volunteer attorneys and interpreters for a program to assist immigrant victims of domestic violence applying for U.S. citizenship under the Violence Against Women Act and a legal hotline for people denied public benefits. In one two-year period the VISTAs recruited almost 250 volunteer attorneys who contributed 10,000 hours of legal services annually and served more than 1,100 clients.
- Minnesota Legal Services used their VISTA members to update and enhance a statewide legal help website, www.LawHelpMN.org, adding hundreds of additional resources to the site including a “LiveHelp” chat navigational assistance tool and Somali and Spanish language versions of the website.
- Prairie State Legal Services VISTA members created a mortgage foreclosure helpdesk at an Illinois county courthouse that has provided legal information to more than 1,500 people.
- A Montana Legal Services Association VISTA conducted a legal needs survey in Montana.
- Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago and Prairie State Legal Services all used VISTA members to launch and coordinate medical-legal partnerships with local hospitals and community health clinics.
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota used VISTAs to help with grant writing and prospecting.
Related blog posts
April 21, 2017
Updated April 21, 2017
January 26, 2017
Updated January 27, 2017
February 6, 2017
Updated February 17, 2017
Updated April 7, 2017