RLUIPA - What Happens When I Report?
After you contact DOJ, we will talk to you about your experience. After that, we may do one or more of the following:
- Investigate the state, county, or municipality related to your complaint;
- Decide whether to file a lawsuit;
- Inform the state, county, or municipality of RLUIPA's application and legal protections;
- Gather evidence;
- Attempt to negotiate and settle the lawsuit;
- Argue the case at trial; or
- Encourage you to consult with a private attorney about what rights you may have under RLUIPA or other federal, state, or local laws.
We will keep you updated on where we are in the process.