Justice Management Division
Assistant Attorney General for Administration
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General Chief Information Officer
- Cybersecurity Services Staff
- Policy and Planning Staff
- Service Delivery Staff
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General Controller
- Budget Staff
- Finance Staff
- Asset Forfeiture Management Staff
- Debt Collection Management Staff
- Strategic Planning and Performance Staff
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General Human Resources/Administration
- Human Resources Staff
- Equal Employment Opportunity Staff
- Library Staff
- Security and Emergency Planning Staff
- Consolidated Executive Office
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General Policy, Management and Procurement
- Internal Review and Evaluation Office
- Office of General Counsel
- Facilities and Administrative Services Staff
- Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization
- Department Ethics Office
- Procurement Services Staff
- Office of Records Management Policy
- Office of Acquisition Management
Approved by Merrick B. Garland, Attorney General
August 17, 2023
The Office of Management and Finance was created in 1973, under Attorney General Elliot Richardson, to strengthen the Department-wide staff capability in the areas of management and finance. In 1979, a reorganization under Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti eliminated the Office of Management and Finance and created the Justice Management Division (JMD).
The mission of JMD is to provide advice to Department leadership and components relating to basic Department policy for budget and financial management, personnel management and training, procurement, records and information management, equal employment opportunity, information processing and telecommunications, security, and all matters pertaining to organization, management and administration.
The major functions of JMD are to:
Supervise, direct, and review the preparation, justification and execution of the Department budget, including the coordination and control of the programming and reprogramming of funds.
- Develop and direct Department-wide financial management policies, programs, procedures, and systems, including financial accounting, planning, analysis and reporting.
- Work across the Department and serve as the Department's liaison with the Office of Management and Budget and the government-wide performance community on strategic planning, performance management under Government Performance and Results Act Modernization Act (GPRAMA), Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), evidence-building activities, and program management improvement under Program Management Improvement Accountability Act (PMIAA).
- Plan, direct and coordinate Department-wide personnel management programs, and develop and issue Department-wide policy in all personnel program areas.
- Facilitate appointment and onboarding of new appointees in coordination with White House Presidential Personnel Office.
- Supervise and direct the operations of the Department’s automated information services, publication services, library services, and any other Department-wide central services that are established by or assigned to JMD.
- Direct the Department’s ethics program by administering the ethics laws and regulations and coordinating the work of the deputy ethics officials throughout the Department. This includes issuing advice, providing ethics briefings, and reviewing financial disclosure reports.
- Oversee procurement policy for the Department and serve as manager of the procurement process for the Department’s offices, boards, and divisions.
- Direct the Department’s records and information management policies and procedures and manage the records operations for senior leadership offices.
- Review, analyze, and coordinate the Department’s programs and activities to ensure that the Department’s use of resources and estimates of future requirements are consistent with the policies, plans and mission priorities of the Attorney General.
- Formulate and administer the General Administration Appropriation of the Department’s budget.
- Develop, direct, coordinate and monitor compliance with Department-wide policies and programs for implementing an effective and viable equal employment opportunity program that includes affirmative employment initiatives and procedures for the timely and equitable processing of discrimination complaints.
- Conduct, direct, review, and evaluate management studies and surveys of the Department’s organizational structure, functions, programs, operating procedures, supporting systems and management practices.
- Develop and direct Department-wide records and information management (RIM) and directives management programs and administer the directives management system RIM programs. Oversee records management operations for the Offices of the Attorney General, Deputy Attorney General, and Associate Attorney General.
- Plan, direct, administer, and monitor compliance with Department-wide policies, procedures, and regulations concerning administrative services functions, audiovisual activities, supply management, motor vehicles, real and personal property, space assignment and utilization, and employee health and safety programs.
- Formulate Department policies, standards, and procedures for information systems, telecommunications systems and automated data processing equipment and ensure all such services and equipment are provided on an equitable basis to all Department components.
- Direct all Department security programs, including personnel, physical, document, information processing, telecommunications, and special intelligence, and formulate and implement Department defense mobilization and contingency planning.
- Review legislation for potential impact on the Department’s resources.
- Establish policy and procedures related to debt collection.
- Manage the Department’s Assets Forfeiture Fund, including interpreting the Assets Forfeiture Fund statute, implementing and operating the Consolidated Asset Tracking System, managing budget processes regarding Assets Forfeiture Fund monies, and managing the Assets Forfeiture Fund and the Seized Asset Deposit Fund.