I am an American victim of terrorism abroad. Who should I contact?

If you are a victim of a recent overseas terrorist attack and are currently located in a foreign country, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate; or in an emergency, call these numbers for the Department of State’s Overseas Citizens Services:

PhoneFrom the U.S. & Canada:

PhoneFrom Overseas:
+1 202-501-4444

Alternatively, if you are a victim, or think that you may be a victim of a prior overseas terrorist attack, and you have not done so already, please contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to provide your contact information.

Are you seeking additional services and support?

Seeking Information About the U.S. Investigation and Access to Immediate and Long Term Social Services?

Contact the Terrorism and Special Jurisdictions Program (TSJP), in the Victim Services Division (VSD) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) at 202-324-3000 or by email at victim.assistance@ic.fbi.gov.

Seeking Reimbursement for Out-of-Pocket-Expenses?

Contact the Justice Department’s Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) International Terrorism Victim Expense Reimbursement Program (ITVERP) Resource Center by phone at 1-800-363-0441 or by email at itverp@usdoj.gov.

Seeking Information About a U.S. Prosecution?

Contact the United States Attorney Office prosecuting the case for help navigating the U.S. criminal justice system, and to receive assistance with restitution and services.

Seeking Information about a Foreign Prosecution?

Contact the DOJ/OVT for help navigating the foreign government criminal justice system, and to receive assistance.

Updated November 1, 2017

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No