Skip to main content
Press Release

Former Senior U.S. District Judge Sentenced to One Month in Prison for Misuse of Government Property and Drug Offenses

For Immediate Release
Office of Public Affairs

WASHINGTON – Former Senior U.S. District Court Judge Jack T. Camp Jr., was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Atlanta to one month in prison for unlawful possession of controlled substances charges and unlawful conversion of government property, announced Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Criminal Division, Special Agent in Charge Brian D. Lamkin of the FBI’s Atlanta Office and Director Vernon Keenan of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.


Camp, 67, a former Senior U.S. District Judge in the Northern District of Georgia, pleaded guilty in November 2010 to an information charging him with one count of unlawful possession of controlled substances, one count of aiding and abetting the unlawful possession of controlled substances by a previously convicted drug felon and one count of conversion of government property. Camp was sentenced today in the Northern District of Georgia by Senior U.S. District Judge Thomas F. Hogan for the District of Columbia. Judge Hogan was sitting by designation in the Northern District of Georgia.


As part of his plea, Camp admitted that between May 2010 and Oct. 1, 2010, he unlawfully used and possessed cocaine, marijuana and Roxycodone, a Schedule II controlled substance. Camp also admitted to giving an individual, whom he knew had a prior felony drug conviction, money to purchase cocaine, Roxycodone and marijuana for their joint use. Camp admitted that he unlawfully gave the individual a U.S. District Court laptop computer for her personal use. Camp was arrested on Oct. 1, 2010, after attempting to purchase drugs from an undercover FBI agent posing as a drug dealer. Camp further resigned his commission as Senior U.S. District Judge. On Feb. 28, 2011, Camp voluntarily surrendered his license to practice law in the state of Georgia.


Camp was also sentenced to pay a $1,000 fine and $825 in restitution. He was sentenced to one year of supervised release.


The case was prosecuted by Trial Attorneys Deborah Sue Mayer and Tracee Joy Plowell of the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section. The case was investigated by the FBI Atlanta’s Public Corruption Squad. The Georgia Bureau of Investigaiton provided substantial assistance in this case.

Updated September 15, 2014

Press Release Number: 11-315