Skip to main content

Civil Rights

The Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice is responsible for enforcing Federal statutes that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, and religion. These Federal laws prohibit discrimination in education, employment, credit, housing, public accommodations, voting, and in certain federally-funded and conducted programs, among other areas. In addition, the Division prosecutes actions under several criminal civil rights statutes that are designed to preserve personal liberties and safety. The Division can also seek relief for persons confined in public institutions where existing conditions deprive residents of their constitutional rights. Tribal governments and State and local governments may also have laws or procedures protecting civil rights. The Division does not have the authority to enforce the Indian Civil Rights Act.

The following areas of the Civil Rights Division's enforcement program may be of particular interest to American Indians and Alaska Natives:




Individuals with Disabilities

Institutionalized Persons


Police Misconduct

Public Accommodations

Reproductive Health Services Access


How to File a Complaint or Obtain Additional Information

Complaints to the Civil Rights Division should be filed as soon as possible after the alleged act and, in some instances, within 180 days of the date of the alleged discrimination. Complaints should be in writing and signed, and include your name, address, and telephone number(s); the name(s) of any public or private agency, institution, department, or individual you believe discriminated against you; and a description of the conduct you believe violated one of the laws discussed above, with as many details as possible.

For further information, or to file a complaint, contact:

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Office of the Assistant Attorney General
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20530
(202) 514-4609 (Voice)
(202) 514-0716 (TDD)
(202) 307-2839 (Fax)

Updated September 28, 2022