Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to 66 Months Prison After Possessing Packaged Narcotics and a Loaded Firearm While on Federal Supervision for an Urban Shooting

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Had Three Prior Felony Firearms Convictions Prior to Arrest

            WASHINGTON – Everett Purvis, 36, of Washington, D.C., has been sentenced to 66 months in prison following his possession of a loaded firearm and packaged narcotics while on federal supervised release for convictions related to a 2008 shooting, announced U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu and Peter Newsham, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            Purvis pled guilty in July 2018, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to one count of possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm. On Nov. 13, 2018, the Honorable José M. López sentenced Purvis to a total term of 42 months of incarceration to be followed by three years of supervised release.

            Today, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the Honorable Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell revoked Purvis’ supervised release and ordered him to serve 24 months of incarceration, to run consecutively to the Superior Court sentence.

            According to the government’s evidence, on April 11, 2018, members of MPD’s Narcotics and Special Investigations Division’s Criminal Interdiction Unit detained Purvis in front of his residence in the 4200 block of Fourth Street SE, after he was observed engaging in a hand-to-hand drug transaction. Purvis was apprehended in possession of a clear plastic bag containing a plastic twist with crack cocaine, 29 green ziploc bags each containing crack cocaine, and 10 clear ziploc bags each containing crack cocaine.

            Following a search warrant on Purvis’s residence, MPD recovered a semi-automatic handgun that was loaded with nine 9mm cartridges inside of the magazine and one 9mm cartridge in the chamber. His fingerprint was subsequently recovered from the firearm.

            At the time of his arrest, Purvis was on federal supervision for five separate felony convictions following a May 2008 shooting outside a residential apartment complex – in the same 4200 block of Fourth Street SE where the defendant was most recently arrested -- and assault of two separate victims. In that incident, Purvis opened fire across the courtyard of a busy apartment complex in broad daylight, striking a window of an apartment building and shattering glass that caused lacerations to a woman inside. He committed that offense after being released months earlier from a separate felony firearms conviction. In total, Purvis’s recent firearms conviction represents his fourth felony firearms conviction arising out of four separate events.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Liu and Chief Newsham commended the work of those who investigated the case. They also cited the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, including Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christopher Macchiaroli, Monica Dolin, Brian B. Ganjei, and Cynthia Walicki-Chan.

Updated November 16, 2018

Drug Trafficking
Firearms Offenses
Press Release Number: 18-315