You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Eastern District of Pennsylvania

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Philadelphia Man Pleads Guilty to Multiple Armed Robberies

Philadelphia – U.S. Attorney William M. McSwain announced that Jonathan Foggie, 34, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, pled guilty today to a Superseding Information charging him with two counts of Hobbs Act Robbery, two counts of using a firearm during a crime of violence, and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Earlier this year, the defendant participated in numerous armed robberies. On January 11, 2018, the defendant, along with others, robbed Harris Hair Styling at gunpoint in Philadelphia. At the time, there were employees and several customers inside the salon, including a young child. When a customer placed himself between the gunmen and the child, the customer struggled with one of the robbers, and the robber shot the customer, causing permanent incapacitating injury. On January 26, 2018, the defendant, along with another individual, robbed Mike’s Service Center at gunpoint in Philadelphia. As an employee attempted to flee, the defendant hit the employee in the head with a firearm, tackled the employee to the ground, and shot the employee in his side.

Under the terms of the guilty plea, Foggie faces a maximum possible sentence of life imprisonment, with 35 years’ mandatory minimum imprisonment, a mandatory minimum five years supervised release up to a lifetime of supervised release, a $1,250,000 fine, and a $500 special assessment. A sentencing hearing is scheduled on December 10, 2018 before the Honorable Michael M. Baylson. Law enforcement continues its investigation into the other individuals responsible for these crimes.

“The defendant was a menace to the City of Philadelphia, terrorizing multiple victims and leaving some permanently injured,” said U.S. Attorney McSwain. “He clearly has no respect for the law, and we are pleased that he is now off the streets and in a jail cell.”  

The case was investigated by the FBI and the Philadelphia Police Department and is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Joseph A. LaBar.

Updated August 21, 2018