PHILADELPHIA – United States Attorney William M. McSwain released a compilation of government and legal resources today that are available to the Philadelphia community during the coronavirus pandemic. This list includes updated information for legal services organizations, as well as other resources provided by both the state and federal government.
“My Office is committed to providing our District with up-to-date information to help the community through this unprecedented time,” said U.S. Attorney McSwain. “We have all been forced to adjust to major changes in our daily lives, and we hope that these legal and governmental resources can make that process a little easier for many.”
The below information is available and accurate as of April 24, 2020.
The following organizations are dedicated to providing free legal assistance to members of the Philadelphia community regarding civil issues. This includes, but is not limited to, homeownership, unemployment, healthcare, and family advocacy. None of the following organizations is affiliated with the Department of Justice. For more detailed information on a specific organization, please visit the website listed below.
Community Legal Services (CLS) (www.clsphila.org)
- Walk-in Intakes: CLOSED until further notice.
- Telephone Intakes: OPEN. For all CLS Units, call (215) 981-3700 and press the option for the relevant issue (for example, to reach the Employment Unit, Press 7).
Philadelphia Legal Assistance (www.philalegal.org)
- Walk-in intakes CLOSED until April 30, 2020.
- Telephone and Online Intakes: OPEN.
- Telephone Intake: (215) 981-3800 (Monday-Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to noon)
- Family Law Intake: (215) 981-3838 (Monday-Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to noon)
- Unemployment Compensation Application Service Hotline: (215) 999-6910 (Monday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Tuesday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
Wednesday & Thursday: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
SeniorLAW Center (www.seniorlawcenter.org)
- Walk-in Intakes: CLOSED until further notice.
- Telephone Intakes: OPEN.
- Philadelphia: (215) 988-1242
- Bucks/Montgomery: (610) 910-0210
- Delaware/Chester: (610) 910-0215
- Statewide: 1 (877) 727-7529
Philadelphia Lawyers for Social Equity (PLSE) (www.plsephilly.org)
- PLSE is in the process of continuing its operations remotely. For the most current information, please email email@example.com or call (267) 519-5323.
Other Government Resources
This list contains updates on city government services, state and federal courts, and some federal government departments. For more detailed information on a specific organization, please visit the website listed below.
City of Philadelphia (www.phila.gov)
- All Philadelphia city government buildings are CLOSED to the public.
- Information regarding access to city services can be found here.
- There is no scheduled interruption to trash services. Starting April 6, 2020, recycling will be collected every other week.
- Philadelphia Free Libraries are CLOSED, but the public can access online resources here.
- PennDOT Centers: All PennDOT Driver’s License and Photo License Centers are CLOSED until further notice. License expirations are extended to May 31, 2020. For more information, please visit www.penndot.gov.
- PA Turnpike: Cash payments are temporarily suspended.
- SEPTA: Bus, subway, and regional rail services are limited. Information on schedules and open routes, can be found here.
- Parks & Recreation: Philadelphia Parks & Recreation buildings, playgrounds, athletic courts, and restrooms are CLOSED. This includes all rec centers, older adult centers, environmental centers, ice rinks, and the Organic Recycling Center. Some older adult centers are open to provide food. Please find that information here.
Social Security Administration (www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/)
- All Social Security Administration offices are CLOSED until further notice.
- All online and phone services are still available. Please call 1 (800) 772-1213 or visit the website for online services. Hours for online services are the following: Weekdays: 5 a.m. to 1 a.m.; Saturday: 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Sunday: 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- The income tax filing deadline has been EXTENDED until July 15, 2020.
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Physical access to federal courthouses in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania is RESTRICTED, although certain proceedings are still taking place.
- All orders from the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania concerning the coronavirus pandemic can be found here.
United States Bureau of Prisons (BOP) (www.bop.gov)
- The United States Bureau of Prisons has suspended all social and legal in-person visitation.
- For more information on the BOP’s modified operations during the pandemic, please visit their coronavirus overview page found here.
First Judicial District of Pennsylvania (www.courts.phila.gov)
- The First Judicial District is currently CLOSED until May 1, 2020, although certain proceedings are still taking place.
- All orders from the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania concerning the coronavirus pandemic can be found here.
Pennsylvania Department of Corrections (www.cor.pa.gov)
- The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections has suspended all in-person visitation to state prisons. They now offer video visitation.
If you or someone you know has been the target or victim of a fraud scheme related to the coronavirus, please report the incident to the national hotline at The National Center for Disaster Fraud at 1-866-720-5721 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.