Skip to main content

Environmental Justice & Public Health

Idaho’s quality of life depends on our unique natural and environmental resources.  Notifying the U.S. Attorney’s Office about environmental justice concerns helps us protect our communities and ensure that all Idahoans can enjoy our beautiful state and benefit from its resources.

Alice Lake, Idaho


The U.S. Department of Justice enforces the Nation’s civil and criminal environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and hazardous waste laws. We also protect natural resources and handle cases relating to tribal rights and resources.

Working with our U.S. Department of Justice partners, the U.S. Attorney’s Office seeks to secure environmental justice for all communities, to ensure that everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to a healthy environment in which to live, learn, play, and work.

U.S. Attorney Josh Hurwit encourages residents to contact the U.S. Attorney’s Office at (208) 334-1211 or email us at, when also contacting local, state, or federal agency hotlines or websites to report environmental, health and safety concerns. Notifying our Office helps us protect the community from harmful violations of federal health and safety laws.

Who to Contact:

If you are concerned about discriminatory environmental and health impacts:


DOJ Civil Rights at 1-888-TITLE-06 (1-888-848-5306)

If the violation impacts:

  • Air quality
  • Chemicals and Toxics
  • Health
  • Land, waste, and cleanup
  • Water

Report the violation to the Environmental Protection Agency at:

If the violation concerns workplace conditions such as chemicals or noxious fumes:

Contact the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) at 1-800-321-6742 

If the violation concerns harm to wildlife:

Contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-344-9453

If the violation concerns the destruction of wetlands:

Contact your local district branch of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ office at 1-800-832-7828

If the violation concerns medications, cosmetics, biological products, and other products for human consumption:

Contact the FDA at 1-888-463-6332

To report an oil or chemical Spill:

Contact the National Response Center at 1-800-424-88022

Updated September 29, 2022