Skip to main content
Press Release

Rapper Young Buck Sentenced to Seven Months in Prison for Violating Conditions of Supervised Release and Probation

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Middle District of Tennessee

David Darnell Brown aka “Young Buck,” 35, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., admitted violating the conditions of his supervised release and probation in two federal felony cases today. He was sentenced to seven months in prison for those violations and was immediately taken into custody, announced David Rivera, U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee.  

In July 2013 Brown was convicted of two felonies in U.S. District Court; being a convicted felon in unlawful possession of a firearm and being a convicted felon in unlawful possession of ammunition. Brown was sentenced to 18 months in prison and to a 3-year term of supervised release for these offenses. He completed his prison sentence and began his term of supervised release in November 2013. A condition of supervised release required Brown to participate in drug testing and urinalysis to detect illegal drug use.

In August, 2015, Brown pleaded guilty to willfully falsifying, concealing, and covering up by trick, scheme, and device, material facts regarding his possession and use of marijuana, by providing a false urine sample and by falsely telling a United States Probation Officer that he had not used a controlled substance. According to the statement of facts, Brown used a device, consisting of a plastic bag containing another person’s urine, to provide a urine sample as part of required drug testing. Brown was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Todd J. Campbell to serve 18 months’ probation, pay a $7,500 fine; perform 100 hours of community service; and submit to mandatory drug testing and treatment. 

Brown then continued to violate the conditions ordered by the Court, leading to his hearing today for violation of his terms of supervision in both those cases. Brown admitted that he had violated supervision in at least three ways.In March 2016, Brown received text messages from the fiancée of the mother of one of Brown’s children. In those text messages, the fiancée told Brown that he was in violation of a state court child support/visitation order, and that he could face state jail time for contempt. Brown then called the victim in this incident various derogatory and racial epithets and threatened him with physical harm.          

On March 29, 2016, Brown was summoned to court for his initial appearance and was ordered to comply with conditions, including not violating any law while pending a final hearing on that violation. 

On July 20, 2016, another of Brown’s ex-girlfriends obtained an Ex Parte Order of Protection in state court and arrest warrants were issued against Brown based on an incident in which Brown wanted to get certain property out of that woman’s house and was told that the property was not there.  He then kicked in the door of the residence and threatened that woman.  Brown was arrested for violating his supervision, and was detained pending a detention hearing. After that hearing, the federal magistrate determined Brown could be released pending the final hearing on this incident and the previous March 2016 incident, but ordered Brown not to have any direct or indirect contact with this victim. Brown was released under those conditions on August 1, 2016.

After being released on those conditions, Brown violated the conditions of his release by contacting and attempting to contact that woman over 100 times in violation of the Magistrate’s release order. 

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Sunny A.M. Koshy.

Updated August 10, 2016

Violent Crime