Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Minnesota

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, May 13, 2016

Anoka Hennepin Drug Task Force Makes Largest Seizure Of Methamphetamine In Minnesota History

DEA and local partners seize more than 140 pounds of meth from Brooklyn Center home

United States Attorney Andrew M. Luger today announced a federal criminal complaint charging DOLORES LUDMILLA CASTILLO, 40, and FRANCISCO SILVESTRE-MARTINEZ, 27, possessing with intent to distribute more than 140 pounds of methamphetamine. The defendants made initial appearances on May 11, 2016, in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, Minn.

“This is what successful collaborative law enforcement efforts can do,” said Anoka County Sheriff James Stuart. “I am very proud of the team that worked so hard to make this operation a success. Let this be a clear message to those who would try to poison our communities in the name of evil greed; we will continue in this hunt and we will find you.”

“DEA takes the trafficking of methamphetamine in Minnesota very seriously,” said Assistant Special Agent in Charge Kent Bailey. “Working with our local law enforcement partners on the Anoka Hennepin Drug Task Force, we are taking dangerous drugs off the streets. The seizure of more than 140 pounds of methamphetamine announced today is but one example of the work we do every day to keep Minnesotans safe.”                                      

According to the criminal complaint and documents filed in court, since September 2015, the DEA and the Anoka Hennepin Drug Task Force (AHDTF) have been conducting an investigation into the drug activity of a Nicholas Nelson, who was believed to be involved in the sale multi-ounce to multi-pound quantities of methamphetamine.

According to the criminal complaint and documents filed in court, in March and April 2016, authorities conducted a number of undercover purchases of methamphetamine from Nelson. During the course of the investigation, law enforcement came to believe that a particular home in Brooklyn Center, Minn., was being used a storage facility for methamphetamine.

According to the criminal complaint and documents filed in court, on May 9, 2016, officers seized approximately 140 pounds of methamphetamine from home in Brooklyn Center. Some of the methamphetamine had been divided into quart-sized bags in one pound increments. Officers also recovered documents indicating that CASTILLO and SILVESTRE-MARTINEZ were the primary residents of the home.

According to the criminal complaint and documents filed in court, on May 10, 2016, CASTILLO and SILVESTRE-MARTINEZ were arrested at a home in Maplewood, Minn., with approximately two pounds of methamphetamine. Officers also found $130,000 in cash.

This case is the result of an investigation conducted by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration and the Anoka Hennepin Drug Task Force.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney David P. Steinkamp.

 

Defendant Information:

DOLORES LUDMILLA CASTILLO, 40

Maplewood, Minn.

Charges:

  • Possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine, 1 count

 

FRANCISCO SILVESTRE-MARTINEZ, 27

Maplewood, Minn.

Charges:

  • Possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine, 1 count

     

###

 

Additional news available on our website.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

United States Attorney’s Office, District of Minnesota: (612) 664-5600

 

The charges contained in the criminal complaint are merely allegations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

Component(s): 
Updated May 13, 2016