Skip to main content
Press Release

Selma Men Sentenced for Armed Carjacking

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Alabama

United States Attorney Richard W. Moore of the Southern District of Alabama announced that Timical Hall and Tyre J. Webster of Selma, Alabama, were sentenced in federal court for their roles in an armed carjacking.  In August 2019, Hall pleaded guilty to two charges—carjacking and brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence.  A week later, Webster pleaded guilty on two counts—carjacking and conspiring to commit carjacking.

At approximately 8:50 pm on February 5, 2019, the victim pulled over to the side of the road in Valley Grande, Alabama, to reply to a text message.  Hall and his co-defendants, Webster and Rayford D. Mitchell, pulled up behind the victim in a stolen Nissan Altima.  The three men exited the Nissan and approached the victim’s vehicle.  Hall and Mitchell each wore masks and were armed with loaded firearms.  Mitchell approached the driver’s side where the victim was sitting with her window cracked, pointed a gun to the victim’s temple, and ordered her to open the door “before I blow your fucking brains out.”  Mitchell repeatedly poked the victim in her shoulder with the barrel of the gun.  As she opened the door, Mitchell reached into the vehicle, grabbed the victim, and threw her down on the concrete.  Simultaneously, Hall approached the front passenger’s side of the vehicle and beat on the glass window with his gun until it shattered.  Mitchell told the victim, “You better be glad I don’t want to kill a bitch tonight or you would be a dead bitch.”  One of the men asked the victim for her money and she replied that it was in her wallet in the vehicle.  Mitchell grabbed the victim and shoved her into the vehicle, demanding that she retrieve the wallet and give it to him.  The victim complied.  Hall then approached the victim, put the barrel of his firearm to her chest, and ordered her to give him her cell phone and the code for it.  The victim provided the cell phone but not the code.  The three men then fled the scene; Mitchell drove away in the victim’s vehicle, which had the victim’s purse inside, while Hall and Webster fled in the stolen Nissan.

Video surveillance depicts all three assailants rummaging through the victim’s purse at an apartment complex minutes after the carjacking.  Law enforcement located the victim’s purse and items belonging to the victim within approximately 15 feet of that location.  Later during the evening of the carjacking, police officers located the defendants in the stolen Nissan at a local convenience store.  Mitchell unsuccessfully attempted to flee but was apprehended in possession of a .9mm pistol.  Police located Hall and a 7.62x39 caliber, AK-style firearm in the stolen Nissan.  Webster eluded capture and was arrested approximately a week later.

On December 4, 2019, Senior United States District Judge Callie V.S. Granade sentenced Hall to a term of 121 months’ imprisonment, consisting of 37 months on the carjacking charge and 84 months on the gun charge, ordering that the sentences run consecutively.  Hall will serve a term of five years on supervised release upon the completion of his sentence.  For his role in the offense, on December 4, 2019, Judge Granade sentenced Webster to 63 months’ imprisonment and a three-year term of supervised release.  Hall and Webster were not ordered to pay a fine, but the judge withheld an order on restitution in an amount to be determined.  The court also ordered each defendant to pay $200 in special assessments.  The court sentenced Mitchell to 130 months’ imprisonment in November 2019.

The Selma, Alabama Firearms Enforcement (S.A.F.E.) Task Force investigated the case and brought it to the United States Attorney’s Office for prosecution.  The S.A.F.E. Task Force is comprised of the Selma Police Department, the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office, the 4th Judicial Drug Task Force, the Alabama Bureau of Pardons and Paroles, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, the State of Alabama Attorney General’s Office, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.  This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Gina Vann and Erica Hilliard.

Updated December 17, 2019