You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

The Office is called the "U.S. Attorney;" does that mean you represent individual "U.S." citizens?

We do not represent individual in matters or lawsuits you may wish to bring against another person, company or government agency. We represent the United States of America and its agencies, such as the United States Department of Interior, the United States Department of Agriculture, the United States Department of Defense, etc. The United States Attorney’s Office also represents the United States of America in criminal matters filed against individual or corporate defendants.

Can you suggest someone who could represent me?

Sorry, our office is not permitted to make direct referrals. We suggest that you contact the Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the State Bar of Ohio at (800) 282-6556, which can refer you to an attorney in good standing who handles your particular type of litigation.

Is your office under the Attorney General?

Yes, but it is under the United States Attorney General, not under the Ohio Attorney General. For state matters, please call the Ohio Attorney General's Office at (614) 466-4968 or toll free at (800) 282-0515.

Does your office pursue "deadbeat parents"?

Yes, federal law allows us to become involved when the non-custodial parent is in another state. The parent must have failed to pay a past due child support obligation for over a year or one that is greater than $5,000. If you have a problem with unpaid child support, it is best to first contact the Family Support Division of the county District Attorneýs Office where the support order was issued.

I am having a problem with a local business. Where can I turn for help?

Though it is not our function to provide legal advice, we suggest that you contact either the Better Business Bureau at (614) 486-6336 in Columbus or (513) 421-3015 in Cincinnati or (937) 222-5825 in Dayton. These organizations have clearinghouses for such complaints.

I need to contact a federal agency other than the Department of Justice. Can you tell me how?

If the agency has a local office, you can find its number in the blue pages of the telephone book under United States Government listings. If not, or if you need to contact its Washington, D.C. office, you may call the Federal Information Center toll-free at: 800-688-9889. You may also search online for the agency’s website, at which you will likely find contact telephone numbers.

Where can I get a copy of the ADA (American with Disabilities) regulations?

The U.S. Department of Justice provides free ADA materials, but you must call the ADA Information Hotline to order these materials. The phone number is 800-514-0301 (Voice) or 800-514-0383 (TDD). A list of ADA materials available from the Department of Justice.

Can you refer me to a Federal Public Defender?

You can reach the Federal Public Defender in Columbus at (614) 469-2999, Cincinnati at (513) 929-4834, and in Dayton at (937) 225-7687.

Updated January 6, 2016

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No