Skip to main content
Press Release

KC Man Pleads Guilty to Cyberstalking That Resulted in Murder

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Missouri

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A former Kansas City, Mo., man pleaded guilty in federal court today to using a GPS tracking device to surveil another man who was shot to death in a grocery store parking lot.

Dontay Campbell, 34, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Roseann Ketchmark to one count of cyberstalking resulting in death.

By pleading guilty today, Campbell admitted that he aided and abetted his co-conspirators in the use of a GPS tracking device to surveil Dontayus Wiles, and that he did so with the intent to kill, injure, harass, and intimidate Wiles. Campbell also admitted that their conduct resulted in the shooting death of Wiles.

Conspirators placed a GPS tracking device on Wiles’s red Chevrolet Tahoe. On March 16, 2019, Campbell and two co-conspirators surveilled Wiles as he and his wife drove to Happy Foods grocery store, located at 4019 E. 31st Street, Kansas City, Mo. When Wiles and his wife left the grocery store and walked back to the Tahoe, through the parking lot crowded with people, including children, Campbell and a co-conspirator pulled up next to the Tahoe in a Chrysler Sebring. Campbell’s co-conspirator exited the Sebring and shot at Wiles several times with a Ruger .40-caliber handgun that belonged to Campbell. During the shooting spree, Campbell attempted unsuccessfully to remove the GPS tracker from Wiles’s vehicle.

Campbell and the co-conspirator then ran back to the Sebring, briefly drove around the parking lot, and parked again near Wiles’s Tahoe. Campbell’s co-conspirator again fired multiple shots into Wiles’s Tahoe while Campbell again tried unsuccessfully to retrieve the GPS tracker. Campbell and his co-conspirator then sped out of the parking lot in the Sebring.

Wiles died from multiple gunshot wounds. Investigators recovered 17 expended .40-caliber shell casings near Wiles’s vehicle, all of which were determined to be fired by the same weapon. Investigators also recovered the GPS tracker underneath the vehicle and determined that the tracker had been purchased and activated in February 2019.

Under the terms of today’s plea agreement, the maximum sentence cannot exceed 30 years in federal prison without parole. The sentencing of the defendant will be determined by the court based on the advisory sentencing guidelines and other statutory factors. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled after the completion of a presentence investigation by the United States Probation Office.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Trey Alford, Nicholas Heberle, and Matthew Wolesky. It was investigated by the FBI and the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.

Updated November 6, 2023

Violent Crime