Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of Missouri

Friday, February 13, 2015

KC Man Sentenced to 10 Years for Illegal Firearms Following Fatal Collision

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man was sentenced in federal court today for illegally possessing firearms, following a high-speed car chase that ended with a collision that killed an employee of the Kansas City Police Crime Laboratory.


Larneal D. Davis, 29, of Kansas City, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Howard F. Sachs to 10 years in federal prison without parole.


On Aug. 12, 2014, Davis pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of firearms. Davis admitted that he possessed two firearms in the vehicle he was driving on July 6, 2013. The two firearms – a Taurus .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol and a Ruger, .380-caliber semi-automatic pistol – were discovered in Davis’s wrecked vehicle following its collision with another vehicle at 65th Street and Troost in Kansas City.


Michael Chou, a crime scene technician at the Kansas City Police Crime Laboratory, was killed when his vehicle was broadsided by Davis’s vehicle while Davis was fleeing from Kansas City police officers. Davis was arrested a short distance from the accident scene after a brief pursuit on foot.


Under federal law, it is illegal for anyone who has been convicted of a felony to be in possession of any firearm or ammunition. Davis has prior felony convictions for possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute, carrying a firearm in connection with a drug offense and distribution of a controlled substance.


This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney D. Michael Green. It was investigated by the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.

Updated February 13, 2015