Skip to main content
Press Release

Lee's Summit Man Sentenced for Selling Stolen Items on eBay

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Missouri

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Lee’s Summit, Mo., man was sentenced in federal court today for his role in a conspiracy to burglarize the vehicles of at least 144 victims and sell the stolen items on eBay.

Nathaniel Dixon, 37, of Lee’s Summit, was sentenced by U.S. Chief District Judge Greg Kays to five years in federal prison without parole, which is the statutory maximum sentence. The court also ordered Dixon to pay $104,657 in restitution to his victims and to forfeit to the government $125,921, which represents the proceeds he obtained from the criminal conspiracy.

On May 27, 2014, Dixon pleaded guilty to participating in a conspiracy to commit wire fraud. From Jan. 1, 2010, until Aug. 31, 2011, Dixon led a conspiracy to burglarize scores of vehicles in the Kansas City metropolitan area, in both Missouri and Kansas. They broke into the vehicles, removed entertainment/navigation systems (often MyGigs) from the dashboard, and stole other personal items such as computers, briefcases, purses, cell phones and credit cards from the vehicles. They also jacked up the vehicles to steal the tires and wheels, and would often use the victims’ landscaping blocks to prop the vehicles up after stealing the tires and wheels.

Dixon bought the stolen auto parts and electronics from his coconspirators, then posted the items for sale on his eBay account, listing the parts at prices lower than retail value. Dixon and his coconspirators caused a loss of approximately $476,000 to the victims. Dixon received payments through his PayPal account totaling approximately $125,921.

In a separate case, Nickalass King, 36, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a total of three years and three months in federal prison without parole for his role in the conspiracy and for violating the conditions of his supervised release.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kate Mahoney. It was investigated by the U.S. Secret Service and the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.
Updated January 8, 2015