Skip to main content
Press Release

Tuscumbia Man Sentenced for Armed Bank Robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Missouri

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Tuscumbia, Mo., man was sentenced in federal court today for the armed robbery of First State Bank in Iberia, Mo.

David Brian Krzysik, 49, of Tuscumbia, was sentenced by U.S.District Judge Brian C. Wimes to eight years and three months in federal prison without parole.

On Oct. 31, 2012, Krzysik pleaded guilty to one count of bank robbery and one count of carrying a firearm in relation to a crime of violence.

On March 15, 2012, at 11:15 a.m., Krzysik entered the First State Bank in Iberia. He was wearing a black wig, a black costume beard, sunglasses, light blue jeans, a jacket, a red baseball cap, and gloves. Krzysik approached a bank teller and placed a black revolver on the counter in front of the teller. “This is real,” Krzysik said. “I want your money.  I don’t want to hurt anybody.”  Krzysik placed a black duffel bag on the counter and the teller emptied the currency in her drawer into the bag. Krzysik approached another teller, who also put money into the duffel bag, then left the bank. The total amount of cash taken during the robbery was $3,651.

Krzysik also admitted that he attempted, unsuccessfully, to rob Central Bank in Tuscumbia. At approximately 11:45 a.m., Krzysik arrived at the Central Trust Bank in Tuscumbia. Krzyski attempted to enter the bank through the front door, however, bank employees saw him coming – wearing the wig, beard and sunglasses – and locked the door.  Krzysik left the bank, returned to his car, placed the duffel bag in the trunk, and then left the area.

Police officers, who responded to a 911 call by bank employees, arrived and tried to stop Krzysik, who was driving in circles around the town square. Krzysik drove off the road onto a small trail that led to a wooded area, and drove down an embankment before he stopped and was arrested.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Lynn. It was investigated by the FBI, the Miller County, Mo., Sheriff’s Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Updated January 12, 2015