You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of North Carolina

Friday, January 25, 2013

Last Of Three Defendants Sentenced To More Than 22 Years In Prison For Two Armed Robberies In Monroe

United States Attorney Anne M. Tompkins Western District Of North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – On Wednesday, January 23, 3013, the last of three defendants involved in armed robberies of two Monroe businesses in October 2010 was sentenced to 268 months in prison, announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina.

In addition to the prison term, U.S. District Court Judge Max O. Cogburn, Jr. ordered Reginald Lamont Chambers, 27, of Monroe, to serve three years of supervised release and to pay $3,100 as restitution.

Joining U.S. Attorney Tompkins in making today’s announcement are Wayne L. Dixie, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Charlotte Field Division and Chief Debra C. Duncan of the Monroe Police Department.

According to filed court documents and statements made in court, on October 18, 2010, Chambers robbed a Dollar General store on East Sunset Drive in Monroe. During the robbery, Chambers held the store clerk at gun point and forced the store clerk to open the safe. Court records show that Chambers then ripped the store’s telephones out of their jacks and took the phones with him. Chambers also attempted to lock the store clerk in the back office before leaving with the store’s money.

According to court documents and statements made in court, October 20, 2010, Chambers and his co-defendants, Anthony Polk and Trenton Raley, robbed La Chiquita store on Concord Avenue, in Monroe. Chambers and Raley held up at gun point two store clerks, and robbed money from the store and one of the clerk’s purses and its contents. Polk was the get-away driver in the robbery. Court records show that all three defendants were arrested in the early morning hours on October 21, 2010, in the get-away car and in possession of the firearms used by Chambers and Raley.

In December 2011, Chambers, who is a member of the United Blood Nation street gang, pleaded guilty to two counts of robbery of a business affecting interstate commerce, also known as “Hobbs Act” robberies, one count of carrying and brandishing a firearm in furtherance of robbery, and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Under the United States Sentencing Guidelines, Chambers was sentenced as a an armed career criminal. v

On November 29, 2011, Raley, 20, of Peachland, N.C., pleaded guilty to one count of Hobbs Act robbery and one count of carrying and brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a crime. He was sentenced also sentenced on Wednesday, January 23, 2013, to serve 67 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release. On December 1, 2011, Polk, 30, of Monroe, pleaded guilty to one count of Hobbs Act robbery. He was sentenced on October 23, 2012, to 51 months in prison and three years of supervised release. Raley and Polk will be jointly and severally liable with Chambers for restitution to the victims of the La Chiquita robbery.

All three defendants are in local federal custody. Upon designation of a federal facility they will be transferred to the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Federal sentences are served without the possibility of parole.

The investigation was handled by the ATF and the Monroe Police Department. The prosecution was handled by Assistant United States Attorney J. George Guise.

Updated March 19, 2015