Many national organizations assist crime victims and provide great resources for victims and their families. Contact an organization below for more information.
Crime Victim Information
- FBI Victim Assistance - For Victims of the El Paso Shooting
- Texas Crime Victims' Compensation Program
- U.S. Department of Justice Victim Notification System
- U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime
- National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA)
- National Center for Victims of Crime
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
Fraud & Identity Theft
Identity theft is when someone uses your personal information such as your Social Security Number or credit card without your permission. If you are a victim of identity theft:
- Check your accounts.
- Contact all creditors and financial institutions.
- Place a fraud alert on your social security number, and obtain a copy of your credit report.
- Contact the Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) no-cost victim assistance number: 1-888-400-5530 or www.idtheftcenter.org. The ITRC can provide victims with valuable information and give you detailed information on what you need to file.
- Run your credit report quarterly.
- Contact one of the three companies to place an alert.
- Once you place the fraud alert in your file, you’re entitled to order free copies of your credit reports, and, if you ask, only the last four digits of your SSN will appear on your credit reports.
- National Fraud Information Center
- Federal Trade Commission
- Identity Theft Resource Center
- Department of Justice - I.D. Theft & Fraud
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service
- Annual Credit Report
- Violence Against Women & Family Protection Office
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
- Sexual Assault Response Advocates - Nationwide Hotline
Child Victims And Violent Crime
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Parents of Murdered Children
- National Center for Abused and Neglected Kids