Skip to main content

Post-Trial Motions

If the defendant is convicted, there are several motions that can be filed after the trial is over.

Common post-trial motions include:

  • Motion for a New Trial – The court can vacate the judgment and allow for a new trial. This is rarely granted, but may be done “if the interest of justice so requires.”
  • Motion for Judgment of Acquittal – Court may set aside the jury’s verdict and allow the defendant to go free.
  • Motion to Vacate, Set Aside, or Correct a Sentence – Often successful for the purpose of correcting a clerical error in the sentence.