FBI Updates the Hate Crime Training Manual
On January 1, 2021, the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program retired the Summary Reporting System (SRS) and transitioned to collecting crime data solely through the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS). This transition provides more detailed and complete crime statistics to law enforcement, the public, and community leaders. As a result, the FBI also revised the Hate Crime Data Collection Guidelines and Training Manual to reflect these and other changes.
This publication is intended to assist law enforcement agencies in collecting and submitting hate crime data to the FBI UCR Program. In addition to providing suggested model reporting procedures and training aids for capturing the bias motivations, the manual is written to raise law enforcement officers’ awareness of the national hate crime problem.
- Criteria of a hate crime
- Definitions of bias motivations and NIBRS offenses
- Bias scenarios
- Submission guidelines
- Learning modules for recognizing and reporting hate crimes
- Guidelines for interacting with victims during an investigation
- The UCR Program removed all information for reporting hate crime data via the SRS.
- The FBI added offenses specific to federal and tribal law enforcement agencies to the manual.
- Yes, due to the rise in bias crimes/incidents directed at the Asian American and Pacific Islander community during the Coronavirus pandemic, the FBI incorporated anti-Asian training scenarios into the training manual.
- Yes, the FBI incorporated non-binary verbiage into the sexual orientation training scenarios. We also added more information to assist law enforcement officers working with victims of bias crimes.
|Race/Ethnicity/Ancestry||Religion||Sexual Orientation||Disability||Gender||Gender Identity|
|Anti-American Indian or Alaska Native||Anti-Buddhist||Anti-Bisexual||Anti-Mental Disability||Anti-Female||Anti-Gender Nonconforming|
|Anti-Arab||Anti-Catholic||Anti-Gay (Male)||Anti-Physical Disability||Anti-Male||Anti-Transgender|
|Anti-Black or African American||Anti-Hindu||Anti-Lesbian|
|Anti-Hispanic or Latino||Anti-Islamic (Muslim)||Anti-Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (Mixed Group)|
|Anti-Multiple Races, Group||Anti-Jehovah's Witness|
|Anti-Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander||Anti-Jewish|
|Anti-Other Race/Ethnicity/Ancestry||Ant-Multiple Religions, Group|
Should you have questions about the Hate Crime Statistics Collection, contact our team at: UCRHATECRIME@fbi.gov