Q: What is FARA eFile?
A: FARA eFile is the method of electronically filing documents with the U.S. Department of Justice under the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, as amended (FARA). It is intended for registrants to initiate, renew, and update their FARA registration as required under FARA.
Q: Is FARA eFile required?
A: Section 612 of FARA was amended by the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 to require that a registration statement or supplement, required to be filed under FARA, be filed in electronic form, in addition to any other form that may be required by the Attorney General. DOJ acknowledges that we serve a broad range of registrants, some of whom may have a limited ability to access the Internet. For questions or concerns about eFile, please call the Registration Unit at (202) 233-0776.
Q: How do current registrants get started?
A: To access FARA eFile a registrant must have an online user account number and password.
Active FARA registrants, as of 3/31/2011, will be mailed an account number and temporary password with the next six month supplemental statement invoice. Please contact the FARA Unit if you have not received the user account number and password, or if you need the account reset. When logging into the application for the first time, there will be a prompt to enter a new password. Please remember this password for future FARA eFilings.
Q: How does a new registrant get started?
A: If the filing is a new registration select New Registration. Enter the registrant’s name and upload the registration package. Required documents include the Registration Statement, Exhibit A, and Exhibit B. If the registrant is an organization a Short Form Registration Statement is required. After the FARA registration package is submitted, the Registration Unit will review the filing and will send a registration number, account number, and temporary password through the U.S. Postal Service. When the information is received the new registrant may log into eFile to pay the required filing fee.
Q: How do current registrants file a FARA Supplemental Statement?
- All FARA forms have been revised, and can be accessed at http://www.fara.gov/. Adobe Reader is required to complete the forms.
Unlike the previous FARA forms, the revised forms may be saved on the computer desktop. Recommendation: After the information has been completed on the form, save the form under two separate file names, (e.g., [REGISTRATION NUMBER]_SUPP and [REGISTRATION NUMBER]_SUPP_APR2014), to reduce the amount of future data entry. Electronically sign and submit [REGISTRATION NUMBER]_SUPP_APR2014. Use [REGISTRATION NUMBER]_SUPP form as a template for the next six month Supplemental Statement.
- Electronic Signature(s): To electronically sign the form, press the “Sign” button, read the acknowledgement statement, check the box, enter name, and select the “Certify” button. Name and date will appear on the form and all of the data entry fields will be locked and no further edits can be made to the data entry fields. Only the signature fields are available. When the form is saved, the prompt will ask, “have all required parties signed the form?” If “Yes” is selected, then all remaining signature fields on the form will be locked. If “No” is selected, then the remaining signature fields are available to be electronically signed by other individuals.
- Supporting Attachment(s): The form may not have enough space to disclose all of the required information. If this is the case, additional supporting attachments (PDFs, JPGs, and TIFFs) may be uploaded into the application.
- To eFile the Supplemental Statement go to eFile
- Enter log on information; account number, temporary password, and registration number. When successfully logged into the application there will be a prompt to enter a new password. Please remember the new password for future FARA eFilings.
- Adjacent to Supplemental Statement select “Add to Cart” and select the appropriate form, i.e. [REGISTRATION NUMBER]_SUPP_APR2014 and press “Save”
- To add a supporting attachment, under the Attachment Section, select the filename and press the “Add Attachment” button. If necessary, repeat this process to add additional supporting attachments. Please note each attachment must have a different filename. When finished adding attachments select the “Done with Attachments”
- Press “Next” to be directed to a pre-submission review and to obtain a transaction number. Check the box for acknowledgement statement, type the submitter’s name, and press the “Submit Filing Package” button. The documents are automatically date stamped after clicking the “Submit Filing Package” button.
- A confirmation page listing the documents submitted through eFile will appear. To pay the filing fee there will be an option to “Pay Filing Fee by Credit Card” or “Pay Filing Fee by ACH (Checking or Savings).” The filing is not complete until the filing fee has been paid. If paying by check, select “Pay Filing Fee by ACH (Checking or Savings)”. This will direct the filer to the U.S. Treasury’s website, Pay.gov. Enter Account Holder Name, Account Type, Routing Number, and Account Number. The Check Number is optional. Press the button “Continue with ACH Payment.” After the payment has been processed the check may be voided. Click the link “Return to Agency” to view (or print) your final eFile confirmation.
Q: What document formats does the FARA eFiling system accept?
A: The eFiling system accepts only Adobe PDF documents for FARA forms. The appropriate PDF forms may be downloaded from the eFiling system to the computer’s hard drive, completed, and then uploaded to the eFiling system. Do NOT password protect the PDF file. The documents may also be scanned to PDF and then uploaded to the eFiling system. Supporting attachments to FARA filings include JPEG and TIFFs.
Q: Is there a file size limit for attachments?
A: The size limit per file is 4GB
Q: What are my payment options?
A: There are three payment options. 1) Filers may pay online via credit card or ACH debit (checking) through the U.S. Treasury website at pay.gov. 2) Filers may also choose to mail checks to the FARA Unit. If a check is mailed, the filer must include the registration number on the check. 3) Filers may also pay in person at the Registration Unit’s public office.
Q: What types of documents can be eFiled?
A: All of the documents required by FARA can be eFiled from the website.
Q: Do I still need to submit paper copies?
A: No. If you file electronically you do not need to file paper versions of the filings.
Q: How do I know if my documents were successfully uploaded to the FARA eFiling system?
A: You will receive a confirmation page.
Q: What is the benefit of using the FARA eFiling system?
A: Electronically submitted documents are automatically stamped with the date and time filed. File anytime, 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Q: Who do I contact for technical problems with the eFiling system or questions regarding the forms?
A: Contact the main FARA telephone number at 202-233-0776.
Q: Which browsers are supported by FARA eFile and FARA forms?
A: FARA eFile currently supports Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 8 or higher) and Google Chrome browsers. If using Google Chrome to complete FARA forms, you must first disable the Chrome PDF Viewer plugin. To disable the plugin, follow these steps:
- Ensure that Adobe Reader is installed on your system. To install Adobe Reader, visit Adobe Reader's download Web page and follow the instructions on the site.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Type ‘chrome://plugins’ into the address bar and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Locate the plugin labeled ‘Chrome PDF Viewer’ and click the ‘Disable’ link at the bottom of that section.
- The link will change to ‘Enable’ and this will allow the Adobe Reader plugin to be used by the browser.