The Department of Justice Attorney Student Loan Repayment Program (ASLRP) is an agency recruitment and retention incentive program based on 5 U.S.C. § 5379, as amended, and 5 CFR Part 537. The Department selects participants during an annual open season each spring. Any Justice employee serving in or hired to serve in an attorney position may request consideration for the ASLRP. The Department anticipates selecting new attorneys each year for participation on a competitive basis and renewing current beneficiaries during existing service obligations, subject to availability of funds. ASLRP benefits are paid directly to the loan holder, not to the individual attorney. Initial acceptance of ASLRP funding triggers a three-year service obligation to Justice. To receive ASLRP benefits, the attorney must qualify, the attorney's student loans must qualify, and all statutory requirements must be met. Attorneys who do not complete their service obligation must repay the Department for all funds received through the ASLRP. Please review the ASLRP Policy for more details.
THE 2019 ATTORNEY STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM
The ASLRP operates on an annual basis and is scheduled to open on March 1st. There are different deadlines for new requests (from attorneys not currently participating and attorneys who are re-competing for additional benefits at the end of their service obligation) and for attorneys seeking renewal of payments during the second or third year of an existing service obligation. Visit Key Dates and Deadlines for details. Individual attorneys, including current participants seeking renewal, must submit requests electronically through their component to OARM. Components representatives must verify and validate the information on attorney submissions, prior to forwarding them electronically to OARM for action.
IMPACT OF THE DECEMBER 2018 PARTIAL GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN AND FURLOUGH ON THE ASLRP
Due to the recent partial government shutdown, some attorneys participating in the ASLRP or potential applicants may have made payment deferral arrangements with their student loan providers. The ASLRP policy does not prohibit such arrangements on the basis of financial hardship; however, the attorney should note such actions as part of an initial ASLRP request or renewal request (e.g., in the “Additional information” space on ASLRP form).
- OARM will not deem payments deferred due to the shutdown as non-compliant with the ASLRP policy (which requires the recipient to continue to make all scheduled personal loan payments) provided loan payments resume in a timely manner once government operations are restored.
- Upcoming 2019 ASLRP awards (e.g., renewal payments and potential new awards) are based on the payments remitted to qualifying federal student loans in calendar year 2018, which likely were not impacted by the shutdown. However, any attorney who deferred a 2018 payment due to the shutdown can remit a “make-up” payment as soon as practicable if the missed payment would impact on the spring 2019 ASLRP award amount (e.g., would impact on the “matching payment” amount). Impacted attorneys should note any make-up payments on their 2019 ASLRP submission.
Please note that this policy guidance applies only to attorneys participating in the Department-wide Attorney Student Loan Repayment Program overseen by OARM and not any individually negotiated or component-run student loan repayment programs.
OTHER RESOURCES (Not Affiliated with DOJ or the ASLRP)
Additional Information and Forms
ASLRP Eligibility Worksheet (tool for requesters to determine eligiblity - not required for submission of a request)
Component ASLRP Points of Contact (Where to Submit Requests)
Component Specific Criteria (ASLRP Policy - Appendix A)
ASLRP Application Checklist (checklist for a complete application)
Forms for Initial Requests: These forms should be used by (1) attorneys not currently participating in the ASLRP; (2) prior ASLRP participants whose service obligations expired prior to 2019 who wish to recompete for selection; and (3) by current participants initially selected in 2016 whose service obligations expire in 2019 and who wish to compete for additional benefits.
- Initial Request for Consideration for Participation in ASLRP This form contains sections to be completed by the requesting attorney and by the component reviewers. Instructions are provided within the form and summarized below.
- Attorney Action: Requesting attorneys must compete Parts 1 and 2, and the Service Agreement, then submit it electronically to their Component Contact with two mandatory attachments: (1) a scanned copy of their student loan history, and (2) their Justification (see form below) and resume. We request, but do not require, attorneys to complete the Statistical Data section.
- The loan history must reflect the attorney's payments for the period January - December 2018; loan history simply for the past twelve months will not suffice.
- Component Action: Upon receiving the Initial Request form, component representatives must review Parts 1 and 2, complete Part 3, check to see if the attorney's packet is complete (e.g., contains the required attachments), and forward to the Executive Officer (or equivalent) or authorized delegate for completion of Part 4 (final validation).
- When complete, the component will forward the entire packet to OARM electronically.
2. Justification Form (Required as part of the Initial Request) Use this form to prepare a written justification for selection. Space is limited to that allocated on the form - do not submit continuation pages, performance evaluations, or any other additional documentation, other than an updated resume.
3. Loan Information Continuation Page Form: Use as needed to document existing student loans.
Forms for Renewal Requests: This form should be used by current participants who wish to request renewed funding during the second and third year of their existing service obligation.
Renewal Request Form (contains Component Verification and Component Validation).
- Attorney Action: Complete Parts 1 and 2, then submit electronically (with one attachment consisting of scanned copies of your loan history) to your Component Contact. The loan history must:
- Reflect the 2018 ASLRP payment (even if that loan has been paid in full);
- Show your personal payments from January - December 2018, not the 12 months immediately preceding submission. ASLRP award are calculated on a calendar year basis.
- Use the Loan Information Continuation Page Form, as needed.
- Component Action: Review Parts 1 and 2, then complete Parts 3 and 4. Upon completion, forward the entire packet to OARM electronically.
- Ensure the attorney's loan history attachment is included.
Leaving DOJ Prior to Completing the Service Obligation & Waivers of Indebtedness