Skip to main content
Press Release

District of Columbia Couple Plead Guilty to Charges In Death of Woman’s Two-Year-Old Son

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Child Had Brain and Other Internal Injuries

            WASHINGTON –A District of Columbia couple pleaded guilty today to charges stemming from the death of a 2-year-old boy who had suffered extensive injuries while in their care, including multiple blunt force trauma, announced U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves and Robert J. Contee III, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            Antonio Turner, 29, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the death of Gabriel Eason. Ta'Jeanna Eason, 32, the boy’s mother, pleaded guilty to three counts of second-degree cruelty to children. Turner also pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree cruelty to children for injuries suffered by another of Eason’s sons, who was 3 years old at the time. Additionally, he pleaded guilty to a felony assault charge for attacking a woman after a traffic crash.

            The pleas, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, are contingent upon the Court’s approval. They call for Turner to be sentenced to seven to 13 years in prison. Eason is to be sentenced to six years in prison with that time suspended on the condition that she have no future unsupervised contact with children and that she participate in mental health and drug treatment. She would be placed on a period of probation and supervised release. The Honorable Milton C. Lee, Jr. scheduled sentencing for March 25, 2022.

            According to court documents, Turner and Eason had a romantic relationship and resided in the 900 block of Division Avenue NE. Turner was not the biological father of Eason’s three children. On April 1, 2020, at approximately 8:25 a.m., the Metropolitan Police Department responded to the residence to investigate a report of an unconscious person. When police arrived, Gabriel was deceased. Officers also observed a bump on the center of the 3-year-old’s forehead and noted that the child seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness.

            Later on April 1, 2020, both of Eason’s surviving sons were taken to Children’s National Medical Center for a medical evaluation. It was discovered that both had sustained apparent trauma to their bodies. The three-year-old had several different injuries, including bruises behind his ears and scalp, fractured ribs and a lacerated liver.

            On April 2, 2020, the District of Columbia’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy of Gabriel. The examination found abrasions and contusions to the head, face, and torso, multiple rib fractures and healing fractured ribs, and other injuries, including to the heart and brain. The cause of death was ruled to be multiple blunt force injuries.

            The charges against Eason involved her failure to seek immediate medical attention for Gabriel and his three-year-old brother, as well as for slapping and striking her other son.

            Both defendants were arrested on Nov. 3, 2020, following an investigation. They were released pending further proceedings. On the morning of Nov. 29, 2021, Turner caused a woman’s car to crash in the 1800 block of New York Avenue NE. He then dragged her from the car and punched her multiple times in the face, causing her to fall and lose consciousness. Turner was arrested following this assault and has been detained ever since.

            U.S. Attorney Graves and Chief Contee commended the work of the detectives, officers, and others who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force. They acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialists Stephanie Gilbert, Grazy Rivera, and Meridith McGarrity, former Victim/Witness Advocate Marcia Rinker, and Victim/Witness Program Specialist Amy Trotto. Finally, they commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorney Cynthia G. Wright, who is prosecuting the case.

Updated January 27, 2022

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 22-17